Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sound of 21-gun salute, brass band and amazing fireworks display.

May I be the first to congratulate the fine professor on his purchase
It isn't a 17" powerbook, but a cool desktop (hence his 20" display questions). Tell us more Dr. G.

It's been a long haul in getting to this day and we've dragged him over the coals on a number of occasions. May doxies rejoice everywhere!

P.S. I started a private hunger-strike at post 999 until Dr. G. submitted his PO - no pressure....

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
Uh-huh... no way, José. I'm not buying it. This whole "Dr.G." and a new mac thing.. just doesn't sound plausible.

I'm waiting for the photos... I want PROOF!

;)
M

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Boy, talk about ruining the news. In this case, the messanger shall be shot and the news shall be sent forth by messangers across the land (via Doxie Express, of course). Just kidding. The world needs researchers like jwoodget.

Chapter 1 -- The Saga Begins

I went in to order the 17" AlPB this morning(yesterday was St.John's Discovery Day, a municipal holiday, so all office staff were off). Our resident MacMaven here at MUN, who is a dedicated Mac laptop user (he has the new 12' AlPB) was VERY impressed with yesterday's keynote. He and I openly discussed the issue of what I wanted to do with this computer that was to be purchased. I told him my needs (e.g., digital video editing of home made educational DVDs, digital photography, my research in digitally enhanced literacy experiences for learning disabled children and the creation, someday, of the website my wife and I shall create when we officially start breeding our doxies). As well, my wife, who has her own marketing, communication and design company, wanted a computer that might handle Photoshop 7-like activities. Our MacMaven wanted to know if I was in need of a laptop, which I said "No, we have two Dells in our house now for basic things such as surfing the web and email." I told him that the PowerBook would be a desktop replacement, that no one would use other than my wife, and only in my home office. He then asked had I considered the new PowerMacs????

To be honest, I had considered a desktop at one point, but it was the iMac, maily for the screen, iDVD, iMovie and iPhoto. With the 17"AlPB's having the same screen, but being more powerful, this became the "flavor of the month". I figured that I would order this laptop and use it on the desk in my office and buy an external firewire hard drive if I was serious about getting into digital video.

Then he showed me the specs of the new PowerMac line announced yesterday. The larger hard drive was what initially attracted me, and then the ability to add RAM as the need arose, and then the possibility of a larger than 17" monitor (thus my questions about the 20" Apple display).

I came home to discuss this with my wife (she was a Mac user since the late 80's) and we both agreed that the Power Mac was a logical choice, since it would be a computer that we could configure and add on to as the need arose. She understands the graphics-intensive side of this new system far more than I do, and was impressed with the specs.

Thus, to make a long story (and an even much, much, l o n g e r wait to "fish or cut bait") I decided to order the middle of the road G5 Power Mac. The dual G5 is over-overkill, but the middle of the line has the larger hard drive which is what I want, and allows me to get the 20" Apple display, if that is what the "tribe" suggests/dictates.

Thus, the wait is nearly over. Eye surgery is still a possibility this summer, so the wait until Aug/Sept does not phase me........after all, I've waited nearly two years to make up my mind!!!!

So, we can all go about our business and not discuss this any further. I have sent ehMax a donation to make up for some of my "sins", and the server space that was taken up on this one issue. I hope ful is reading this, since he started the "Did Dr.G. finally get a Mac?" thread. Such is Life.

In all sincerity and seriousness, I do appreciate the technical assistance/information and understanding you have shown to me these nearly two years in ehMacLand. I figure, my left eye willing, that I shall have a few more posts to contribute until the actual arrival of this computer. This is in the hands of Steve Jobs and Apple Canada, so please direct your impatience their way. We shall see..................

Chapter 2 -- The Wait

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
May I also be the first to extend Kudos to jwoodget for posting #1000. Mazel tov, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow! Who would have ever thought our illustrious Dr. G wouldn't be getting any Mac, but the NEW G5 :eek:
Way to go Dr. G!!! :D :cool: We can't wait for the news of your great escapades on the G5!

jwoodget - Congrats on finally attaining official super citizen rank with your new account. Too bad the original jwoodget was axed by that buggy version of UBB.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Thank you, Chealion.

I am still busy grading final exams, and summer school starts on June 30th, so I shall be kept busy until that "blessed event". Thus, Chapter 2 shall be slow in coming.

I was not going to mention anything about this purchase, in hopes that no one would consider I was bragging. I am actually amazed that I was as patient as I was and was able to exercise "delayed gratification". Of course, I don't know what I would have done had SJ announced the iTable, a 27" screen G5 laptop, complete with table legs. :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Gratz Doc G! Sweet choice with the G5!

Also, Gratz to jwoodget on the big 1K!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Merci, GW.

I too feel that we are all better off now that jwoodget has ended his "vow of silence" and is again with us in mind and spirit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hehe! :D

The iTable. I like it.
Seriously, though. Congrats, Dr.
I often find that decisions happen in this way. You can spend many hours thinking and researching etc., but then one day, it is just made. Just like that, due to something you could never have foreseen. But, you're completely happy with it and that's what counts!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Thank you, as well, jeac5. I would have to admit that I thought more than a few "hours" on this decision. It started with my purchase of the July 2001 issue of MacWorld and the idea of working that summer to create a web course and "bank" the money into a research pool. That money sat as I figured exactly what I wanted.......and I waited........and waited..................and waited some more.

Enough about me. How are you doing these days?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Chapter 2 -- The Wait

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

I have come to the sudden realization that I have not utilized a Mac since my LC II days, and I pondered whether or not to ask my dean to upgrade this computer to OS 7. :eek:

I have been in a state of quandary all these many months, and now the end is in sight. What will the future hold for me? For you? For all of us????

In the words of the wise sage of ehMacLand, "We shall see."

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Hmmmmmm, putting a Mac on order is a whole different thing from actually having a Mac. There will be lots of time to rehash the decision a thousand ways and then just cut and run.
I can already feel that string tugging on my leg. OOOOOH Dr. G you're such a tease!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice way to deflect attention, Dr. G.

Thanks for asking, I am fine for the most part. I am starting to get a little 'freaked out' about my upcoming move, within reason, that is.

I am thinking about everything from however will I get myself past NY City without having a coronary. I am driving and have a tendancy to get nervous in high traffic situations when I am not familiar with the roads.

For the bigger consideration, Ahhh!, my first classroom! The first week, schedules and routines that I want to implement right away. I don't want to leave anything out. If being honest, I have to admit that I have a tendancy to be a bit tough on myself. An example, instead of doing some research on opening week activites, picking those I like and implementing them into a plan for the week, I have a tendancy to want to thoroughly research every book and website that I find, until I have way too many ideas to choose from and have made my job much more difficult than it has to be. In fact, I am aware that as a teacher, time consideration is of upmost importance and this is an area that I need to work on. Everything doesn't have to be perfect the first time.

I would therefore say that if you could point me in the direction of helpful resources or advice, it would be welcome, but that may be just one more thing I would have to consider.
I suppose that within the next month, I will have a pretty good idea of how the beginning of the year will go and what my classroom will look like (I have a good idea anyway, just need to clarity everything) and then I can focus on actual long and short term planning, when I get there. Aarrgh!!!

I could go on. Now, aren't you sorry you asked? :confused:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Rob, questions/complaints/suggestions, etc, should be directed to Mr. Steve Jobs c/o Apple Canada. Merci.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Jeac5, I can't believe I'm saying this, having been born and raised in NYC, go around The City. I am not sure what route you are taking, but head for New Jersey and then south. However, if you do venture into the Big Apple, have a Nathans original hot dog in my memory. Good luck.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Chapter 3 -- A neo-prodigal son

It must be a sign from above, because as I was trying to download the SJ Keynote address to see what all of "the fuss" was about, I got "the blue screen of death". Yes, a sign from above..........

" And blessed is the man whom Thou hast chosen and accepted," [Ps. 64(65):5], and whom having sought, Thou dost find. "Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven, whose sins are covered," [Ps. 31(32):1]. It is for man to repent of sins; but let this be accompanied with a change that will not be checked. For he who does not act so shall be put to shame, because he has acted not with his whole heart, but in haste. "

"And it is ours to flee to God. And let us endeavour after this ceaselessly and energetically. For He says, "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," [Mt. 11:28]. And prayer and confession with humility are voluntary acts. Wherefore it is enjoined, "First tell thy sins, that thou mayest be justified," [Is. 43:26]. What afterwards we shall obtain, and what we shall be, it is not for us to judge."

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dr., as much as I would love to visit the Big Apple, you couldn't pay me enough to venture into the city on my drive down south. I am concerned enough with just going around it, as I will certainly try to do.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Jeac5, I shall send you a Dr.G. family phrase that my grandparents would always say when confronted by stress. Keep in mind that they were thrown out of Czarist Russia, along with all the other Jews, in 1903. The came to New York City's Ellis Island, and then to Mott Street, with nothing. I won't give it to you in Yiddish, because I don't know the exact spelling, but it translates as "Such a deal/Such is Life". The "deal" in this phrase has nothing to do with buying or selling anything, but rather, as in "It's no big deal". As for "such is Life", that means what it means. So, when times are tough, and folks are honking like mad on the Jersey Turnpike, and you feel like walking back to Nova Scotia, keep saying "Such a deal/Such is Life". That shall get you through whatever you confront. Paix, et bon voyage.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dr.G. should be known forthwith as Dr. G5.

The BSOD was no accident but a built-in Gates retribution-detector. I hope that you secure the first G5 on the Rock and that it be the first of many. I do worry about the effect of the salt air on that fine aluminum mesh however. You'll have to remember not to take it to the beach

As for the naysayers, is there one amongst us who would rather Dr. G. had settled for a G4 now (or 6 months ago) rather than a gleaming G5 in September? I thinketh not.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.