Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure that my Downstairs neighbour has spliced my internet cable line. It seems like my internet is running slowly but i could just be paranoid. Would this effect my speed? I am using rogers high speed.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I am pretty sure that my Downstairs neighbour has spliced my internet cable line. It seems like my internet is running slowly but i could just be paranoid. Would this effect my speed? I am using rogers high speed.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx
Wouldnt he have to jump on your internet connection somewhere AFTER your modem is connected?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx
Not possible, actually.

The Cable line carries an FM signal, which requires a cable modem to decode it to an Ethernet signal. IF the neighbor has a cable modem of their own, then they could possibly be using the same physical cable to attach to the Cablevision network, but I would assume that Rogers would have had to activate that, and it would not be on your account.

IIRC the number of neighbors that you have attached in your local area does affect your maximum speed, but that is inevitable whether or not they are in the same building.
Cable Speed - How Fast Is Cable Modem Internet?

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx
The comment above is correct. You can't just splice in without expertise in hacking beyond what most people would possess.

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
Not possible, actually.

The Cable line carries an FM signal, which requires a cable modem to decode it to an Ethernet signal. IF the neighbor has a cable modem of their own, then they could possibly be using the same physical cable to attach to the Cablevision network, but I would assume that Rogers would have had to activate that, and it would not be on your account.

IIRC the number of neighbors that you have attached in your local area does affect your maximum speed, but that is inevitable whether or not they are in the same building.
Cable Speed - How Fast Is Cable Modem Internet?
Not sure about Rogers but when they hooked up our cable internet they needed to list the MAC address of the modem, otherwise no go.

So unless your modem is outside of your living space it seems very unlikely that your neighbour could have spliced into your signal. Now for basic TV that is another matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my brother and girlfriend conspired to break my router...

At the risk of being too technical, the outside cable runs into a black plastic box and i use a blue cable from that box directly into my mac. It is the outside line that seems to be split and running into the downstairs apt.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
At the risk of being too technical, the outside cable runs into a black plastic box and i use a blue cable from that box directly into my mac. It is the outside line that seems to be split and running into the downstairs apt.
Why fret about it? Just call Rogers and tell them what you suspect. They'll have a tech there, likely that day to check it out. They frown on signal theft and if the neighbour is stealing, let Rogers deal with him.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Now this is getting interesting. Are you related to this neighbour?

By all means, go ahead and get technical.

But please when you call Rogers just say that you are having poor signal and you noticed a wire outside. Don't directly accuse someone of fraud unless you have more information than you are providing.

And you mean your brother and his girlfriend, or your brother and *your* girlfriend. This is almost getting biblical.

my brother and girlfriend conspired to break my router...

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
But please when you call Rogers just say that you are having poor signal and you noticed a wire outside. Don't directly accuse someone of fraud unless you have more information than you are providing.
Nonsense. Tell them what you suspect. Let them deal with it. If it is not theft, they will advise you, but telling them up front will get your problem on the front burner. You're not accusing anyone directly, just suspicious and want an answer. You will never deal with your neighbour on the issue, Rogers will.

Pussyfooting around the issue will solve nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I meant my brother and my girlfriend conspired to break my router.
Actually ex-girlfriend which is why I have time to worry about internet theft. I will probably call rogers on the down low and hope they can deal with the problem or (more likely) allay my suspicions and allow me to move on to other productive endeavors.
Thank you to everyone who responded.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
as others have said, it's unlikely they could have spoofed a cable modem without rogers finding out.... but they could be using a spliced line to steal the cable tv signal.

that would be a more likely scenario....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.