1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost fell off my chair when I read this on pcmag.com today:

Me and My Mac - Columns by PC Magazine

Note this quote:

"First of all, the machine is not half bad. It's very quiet, and it performs as well as the PC on general office applications. Generally speaking, the interface is slicker than the PC's, and you get the sense that the computer isn't about to start acting weird because of some virus, spyware, or endless Firefox loading procedure going on in the background and killing all the cycles of the computer."

If you read the article, he doesn't exactly gush about the Mac. But he's a lot more positive about it than I'm used to.

Somebody check the temperature of hell. It might have frozen over.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
He wrote a fair article, for once. He has seen the light.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well this is the first time he has ever given the Mac a fair shake. All of his previous articles about the Mac were written without him actually ever using one. The fact that Apple could provoke even a glimmer of good words from the likes of John Dvorak says a lot about the state of the Mac.

Trev

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Well this is the first time he has ever given the Mac a fair shake. All of his previous articles about the Mac were written without him actually ever using one. The fact that Apple could provoke even a glimmer of good words from the likes of John Dvorak says a lot about the state of the Mac.

Trev
Uh, no, it isn't. He used to write for MacWorld about ten years ago. He wasn't quite the @$$ then that he is now.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He wrote a fair article, for once. He has seen the light.
Either that or the real Dovark has been replaced by an android who acts differently. :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Who says he doesn't use Macs?
He does. To quote from the article:

Hey, I figured since I'm known for ragging on the Mac all the time, I may as well speak from some experience, right?
and

"I sense that the OS is more solid than Microsoft Windows, but I cannot say why exactly. I suspect that the modern underpinnings of the Unix kernel have something to do with it. I have no plans to move to the Mac platform for my personal use," Dvorak writes.
The first quote pretty much sums it up. He bought himself a Mac a few months ago so he could see just exactly what all the fuss was about. It was either a poor choice of words, or he really hasn't actually used a Mac in a long time (probably shortly after his days at MacUser).

Trev

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Somebody check the temperature of hell. It might have frozen over.
Actually, didn't that hapen last year when Apple went Intel, as Dvorak predicted(or wanted) Apple to.

As one guy commented, I think he does alot of that to get attention (= hits on his site).

I got a kick out of how he was left out of the TWIT podcast which was done on the first iPhone experiences. Basically Leo said we know how Dvorak feels about the iPhone, he hates it.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
He does. To quote from the article:

and

The first quote pretty much sums it up. He bought himself a Mac a few months ago so he could see just exactly what all the fuss was about. It was either a poor choice of words, or he really hasn't actually used a Mac in a long time (probably shortly after his days at MacUser).

Trev
It's one thing to say he doesn't use Macs... it's another to say he hasn't used a specific Mac. I'd wager he's always used Macs since his MacUser days.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Dilemma!

While on the one hand I wish you guys would stop commenting on the guy, because every word you say (positiive or negative) about him adds to his creditability... What is needed is for nobody to think him worth a comment. From my personal perspective, the guy is a long time and burnt out pro-PC hack who has been irrelevant to the Mac world for his entire "career". Now he is trying to mine his Mac re-birth for the kind of cash other evangelicals get when they get caught (say) with a 12 year old prostitute. Who's the "ho", Dvorak?

... on the other, I feel inclined to rip the guy to shreds (metaphorically speaking of course) and feel there is some necessity for that sort of ritual/party.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
... on the other, I feel inclined to rip the guy to shreds (metaphorically speaking of course) and feel there is some necessity for that sort of ritual/party.
Like this guy :D

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Nah.. That guy was holding back.... The question for the Mac world is "do we make Dvorak pay for his sins?" If you don't think public punishment is necessary in this case, you can choose to ignore him as a has-been hack. If you think his sins against the Mac community require a public (if metaphorical) flogging. Go for it, and post the link!!!. :clap:

My dime goes to ignoring a has-been hack....

EDIT: make that any/all has-been hack(s)....... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts