Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions I have regarding .Mac I have yet to see as again I am looking at it, or a web hosting package.

Is it possible for me to register with Apple.com to save myself $40? With the dollar the way it is it seems silly to order it from Apple.ca.

Secondly, looking around I found reference to an email-only account. I looked into this a few years ago and Apple said this was not possible. EDITED: Can someone shed some light on cost? I think you need a full account first.

.Mac Mail Help: Creating an alias

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
An e-mail only account is not possible. The question comes up every now and again, and I wish it would just die. DotMac is all or nothing, for around $100/year.

DotMac is a convenience tool. There are better options available in the free market that offer more for less money, but since the convenience of iLife/Mac OS integration is not there, DotMac still has its loyal customer base.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT...

Actually, I believe you can create email only accounts. As I mentioned in my previous post, it looks as though you have to be a full member to do so.

.Mac - FAQ

So to rephrase my original question, what does an email only-account cost to a full member?

On the other hand, if I have a full membership and can create aliases; I don't really need an email only account.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If you're patient and do a bit of hunting, you can usually find .Mac at much less than the ridiculous price Apple charges. I have never yet paid full price. Last year, Future Shop was selling .Mac boxes for half price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So to rephrase my original question, what does an email only-account cost to a full member?
$15/year CAD per account, and they each include a separate 50MB of e-mail storage (which cannot be increased).

You also cannot use e-mail aliases with e-mail only accounts, and they cannot have photo signatures in the web client (since the photo requires iDisk storage).

On the other hand, if I have a full membership and can create aliases; I don't really need an email only account.
Yes, you get 5 additional aliases, and the ability to turn them on and off as well as colour-code them in the .Mac web client.

However, the separate e-mail only account could be useful for an additional family member who doesn't need a full .Mac service (thus saving you the cost of a family pack upgrade), or an account that you wanted to keep completely separate for work/personal use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts