Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front door, which leads outside (not into a hallway like most apartment units), has a large window in it. Unfortunately, the door is metal (I think), and you can't drill/nail anything through it. So, my question is.. is it possible to some how mount blinds to the door to cover up the window?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Yep, we have a magnetic rod, with a lightweight curtain, it gives plenty of privacy while letting a nice, diffuse light through. Probably your cheapest option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Magnetic curtain rod

Try Lee Valley Tools. I have seen them on their website for less than $20. Rod and 2 holders, you supply the fabric. I have used their rare earth magnets and am impressed with their holding power.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Ooh, where can I buy this stuff, Sonal?
Window tint from Canadian Tire?

I've also seen static charged plastic film for reducing direct sun light for rear windows of a car. Doesn't use any adhesives and just peals away. Don't know where to get them, saw this in the US many years ago. NAPA or another auto store may have them.

I'd go with the magnetic curtain rods, even Home Depot sells them.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
You can also get spray frost from the HD, in the paint section, like $5 a can. I did this and made a pattern of overlapping squares on my window, looks like I paid a fortune for the window.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
You can also get spray frost from the HD, in the paint section, like $5 a can. I did this and made a pattern of overlapping squares on my window, looks like I paid a fortune for the window.
Yeah, along with acid glass etchers...but you can't see who's a knock'n on the other side.;)

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
We had venetian blinds installed on a metal door. The door faces east so the sun comes pouring in in the AM. The bottom of the blind is secured so it does not flop around.
Cost ~ $100 for custom installation. My Neighbour installed his own getting the blind et al from Home despot

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Yeah, along with acid glass etchers...but you can't see who's a knock'n on the other side.;)
Who are you expecting at the front door? If you don't want the window completely covered use some masking tape and make some lines, or even get a stencil from a craft store.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Ooh, where can I buy this stuff, Sonal?
I was going to suggest starting at Home Depot, but The Doug beat me to it. :) I'm sure it is in other places too--I haven't used it personally, but have seen it used, have heard it recommended by a few people, and it can be pretty nice. Actually, the condo I just bought has the balcony glass filmed by the previous owner--looks just like frosted glass, but I can peel it off if I decide I don't like it.

Did a quick google, and you can buy it online here, as well as look up dealers--Canada is in there:
Decorative Window Film Stained Glass Decorative Window Film Glass Decorative Window Film

You can get films that are patterned (so you have some clear spaces) and ones that mimic stained glass as well.

For those suggesting glass etching kits, I believe Lars is renting and I would imagine that his landlord might not appreciate the permanent change to the glass. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.