Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing I see as a hassle is Google Drive not backing up and syncing, but otherwise I only use my MBP for streaming tennis, internet and MS Office.

Is it worth updating my OS to Sierra? Someone warned me that if I did that, my MBP would run incredibly slower.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I doubt you're going to see much speed change going to a newer OS unless you have low ram. 2016 is not that old relative to Sierra or High Sierra.

On the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you want to do it, then partition the drive so you can run different OS versions on each partition. I do this all the time, and it's a nice way to see which system works best for your needs.

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
If you want to do it, then partition the drive so you can run different OS versions on each partition. I do this all the time, and it's a nice way to see which system works best for your needs.
I would agree and have done this for years.

When partitioning and cloning, if you want to be really fussy, the outer-most partitions on a spinner HDD tends to be slightly faster.
Also when cloning from a source to the new partition when using Carbon Copy Cloner.app, it will tend to defrag a lot of the files making read and write access faster. A nice method to help speed up your Mac!!! 😉

PS: I don't know if the subject is a warning or a question!!! I am assuming it's a sort of question!!
And why would Google Drive break not back up and sync???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm super-happy with 10.13.6 on my 2015 MBP. One advantage is that more recent third-party apps work. Have not tried the partition route.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
One note, if you want to upgrade the SSD at some point, your new SSD will be a NVMe solid state drive, and will require OSX 10.13 or above for the firmware to recognize the drive. The 10.13 or higher with associated EFI update must be installed with the Apple drive in place first, before changing the SSD. Owners who wait until their Apple drive dies before installing 10.13 run into a 'nother whole set of problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts