Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Done with iMovie, replacement suggestions?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MacNutt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggesting for video editing software. I will be using it to edit home videos and some short projects. I am no expert, but a quick learner.

iMovie 2 worked just fine for me until I upgraded to Imovie 3. It was all downhill from there. While it had more features, I had many many problems transferring the finished project back onto a minidv tape or vhs tape. For some reason, when I transfer it the screen starts to shake during transitions. Tried so many different things but it didn't help. Not to mention the audio-sync problems. Finally I reverted back to Imovie 2, but guess what? All my audio tracks were merged into one, making me lose several hours of work :( , I blame myself too for not thinking it could happen. Oh well, so I'm staying away from iMovie, looking to pay to get some decent working software. I was thinking of either Final Cut Express or Adobe Premiere. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Well Adobe Premiere isn't being updated any more on the Mac interface, however you can upgrade from Premiere to Final Cut Express with a discount (if its still on I believe).

Just checked, yeah you can get Final Cut Express for free by trading in a Premiere Install CD (check eBay, there may be some). Or you can save $750 on Final Cut Pro 4 by upgrading from Pemiere.

Final Cut Express is also $300 off if you buy it with a new Mac.

#5 ·
That auction had 5 days to go, it will go for much more than it is now, I am not sure if will surpass the price of an FCX but I would give it a try!

#7 ·
I was using iMovie3 for my dragrace videos, but I also had problems with choppy transfer to tape. Especially the slo-mo...it absoloutely sucked.

So I bought Final Cut Express. I'm still learning it (it's a LOT harder to use and more complex than iMovie) but it looks pretty good so far.

In fact, I'm wondering now why I spent so much time working with iMovie3. The end results were not really worth it, when all is said and done.

FCE looks MUCH better!

The features and flexibility it promises are fantastic! But I would recommend that you buy a book about it before you get too far into it on your own. I picked up 'Final Cut Express for Dummies' and it has been very helpful.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.