Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, another question about websites.
Where does one register a name.
What kind of money am I looking at?
Thanx,
Robert

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well what do you want for a domain, .com, .ca, .tv you can get whatever is available to you. You need to do a search and see if the name you want is available and then just register it. Takes about 2 minutes and a credit card.

Start here http://www.cira.ca/en/home.html

John

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great stuff, now another question.
What is the difference between .ca, .com, .net etc
I like the idea of dealing with a canadian company.
This will be for advertising my illustration services.
Ideas anyone?
Robert

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If you're going to make a company web site, and it's Canadian-based, I would recommend you use .ca, because it shows your based in Canada.

.com is usually used for companies, and .net for networks (or a network of web sites linked together). .ca can also be used for companies, and makes it look like you're based in Canada.

However, there's no rule on what ending you can use. You could use .com, .net, .org, .ca, whatever. Some are just better than others for what you want them for.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My advice would be to try and get a .com/org/net name and stay away from .ca domain names. The latter are more expensive to obtain and tend to be a lot more hassle to maintain (just my experience).

I've been registering my .com with domaindirect.com since about 1999. They're an organized, well run company and I have never had a drop in service. If you already have web space somewhere (Rogers gives you a bunch), then you can save money by using their domain forwarding (visitors use your .com domain name.) They also include an email address, set to your .com domain, plus free web mail (so you can check you messages on the the road). The whole package, including domain registration costs about $40/year.

They also offer domain hosting, but you'll have to check with them to see about rates.

Here's the link: Domain direct

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Another thing to consider is WHO you have registered your domain name with. Believe it or not...it matters.

If you go for the cheapest outfit availble, you might just find that they suddenly go out of business some day and leave you in the lurch. A whole bunch of people on this forum were complaining about just that sort of thing a year or two ago. They said that it made it far harder for anyone to find their site because of having to go through an extra step or two because they had to re-register with a different outfit.

Decide how much your domain and website really mean to you, and then decide if you are more concerned with saving fifteen bucks...or if you don't mind spending a bit more for something really permanent by listing with a big and more well-known outfit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use namealerts.com.

Great guy and excellent service (has always replied back within 24 hours).

Can't beat the price either! $8.95 (US) per domain registration or transfer.

-sb

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... too many out there. I've gone with one so far, canaca.com. Things have been cool. But not had that much interaction with them though.... Will be getting another DM registered, likely with them.

H!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Macnutt, cost is not the issue. (owning a mac proves that :D )
I have been told to use GoDaddy.com but it is American and I would like to deal with a Canadian company if possible. If I can't, okay, but I was wondering what others on this board were doing/using.
Also, is .ca that bad a choice instead of .com?
Thanx for all the info,
Robert

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Also, is .ca that bad a choice instead of .com?
People will remember a .com domain name more easily before a .ca domain name, but it looks more professional in some ways if your company is Canadian-based with a .ca domain name. It really doesn't matter, though; either ending will work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used www.korax.net (in Toronto) for a few years, both for domain name registration and for web hosting. I am 100% satisfied with their service and their support for PHP and MySQL. Responsive and reliable-- that's very important to me.

I can't say the same for two other local companies I've dealt with.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I have two domain names registered with GoDaddy.com, good prices and good service.

I transfered over from Network Solutions (VeriSign), too expensive and I object to their renewal harrasments, SiteFinder and other low life business practices.

cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Webserve

Their rates seems pretty cheap and I haven't had any problems with them yet.

wait, thats not true

I had to wait 2 weeks after I set it up before things were able to be shared due to an error on their end. Its been smooth sailing since though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been registering domain names since 1993. Network Solutions used to pretty much be the only game in town in the "old days".

Now that domain registration is no longer controlled by a few companies, one has to balance price with longevity, service and response. There are many bad registrars and many good registrars. Caveat Emptor.

The only advice I can give that I feel should be heeded is: stay away from Network Solutions at all costs. Suffice it to say that you need bottles of Tylenol at your side if you ever need to change an address, contact name or DNS pointer.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Two of my web designer/ web master friends swear by DotCanuck, they have the cheapest price on a .ca domain name I have seen (but I haven't looked very hard either).

--PB

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another recommendation for godaddy.com . I've registered two domains through them, and have had absolutely no problems. Very easy to navigate the site, and cheap domains! Only $8.95/year. They also provide domain forwarding and masking, which is very cool, since it allows you to forward your web site to another machine, without users seeing the forwarded address.

If forwarding/masking doesn't meet your requirements, and you need full fledged DNS, I would recommend public-dns.org, as they provide FREE domain name service, and are MUCH more reliable than any of the other free DNS providers I've found (http://www.granitecanyon.com/ being the other one). If you have a dynamic IP, you can use no-ip.com for providing DNS.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the information.
I am leaning towards a .ca as it reflects
my business being canadian. (as opposed to UK)
Robert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts