Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know, MSN, AOL and iChat don't allow a mac user to talk to a PC user through an audio to audio connection. Is there a software that can span these two worlds or are we not there yet. I would love to talk to my friends on the west coast, but they all have damn PC's and the earpiece on my phone is melting. Maybe I should get some mac friends - beside the point, but food for thought. Anyway, any help is much apprecieated.

Hambone

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
We're setting up a video conference between our doctoral students and students at UNBC in a couple of weeks. Today I test-drove the setup we have, which utilizes NetMeeting as a client for any computers that join the session.

NetMeeting, of course, doesn't exist for Mac.

XMeeting was the recommended alternative - it installs fine on my MacBook, with two caveats: video quality from my iSight is really, really bad (giving the PC nerds in the room to send off a few jibes) and when I go full-screen, the app crashes.

Anyone with experience using XMeeting on an Intel Mac, and/or can offer alternative programs?

TIA,
M

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
seetobylive said:
Skype!! All you'll ever need.
http://www.skype.com
Got Skype. Love it and use it daily. But not for this task. Guess I should have better articulated my needs:

The conferencing program requires the client machine to connect to a specific IP address, thus XMeeting / NetMeeting.

Anyone with actual experience in this area with advice?

;)
M

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had great success with XMeeting on my G5 but when I switched to Intel, I started to have crashes in fullscreen mode, also. Haven't figured it out, but I assume it has something to do with the change of machine. You're not likely going to get better video quality with this software, I have discovered.

Now that we're mostly Mac around here, we use multi-user video chat on iChat (and AIM for PC) a lot more and it's far easier to deal with. It doesn't do IP-to-IP meetings, though, so you really don't have any other options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts