Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jobs mentioned the heat issue briefly in his keynote. The xserve is awfully thin. I wonder if we'll see a G5 PowerBook soon?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
Funny I was thinking the same thing, the XServer is a full 1U rack mount but it looks like Apple is getting closer to putting the G5 chip into smaller cases...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, if you search the G5 Xserve literature, there is very informative info on the G5 chip (PowerPC 970). The literature claims that IBM is producing the PowerPC 970 on 90 nanometer chip technology (vs the old 130 nm chip tech.). This is good news. Can a 90 nm PowerPC 970 run cool enough in a Powerbook? Now the bad news, the Xserve has 8, count them, 8 fans and two input ducts on the front... see my other thread on the G5 Xserve in this forum. I'd say a G5 Powerbook may still be a ways away until there is a portable version of the G5 chip.

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Kosh I concur - more likely a dual G4 first - the portable power has plateaued and it's hard to justify the product price range when the overall performance is so similar.

The 17" should have the right space for a dualie but hell the fans in the powerbooks and iBooks are noisy now.

I mean think about it
$4200" for a 17"
versus
$4300 for a 14" G4933 iBook AND a G5 1.6 Tower :eek:

something wrong in the equation. The 17" needs a dual G4 to make value sense.

The performance range is just too tight when price range is considered.
"Houston we have a problem" :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
One thing I wonder is, when will we see those mini hard drives the iPods have being used in laptops? 40GB ... probably good on battery life and heat I would think ... maybe not the best performance though. And when will we see OLED displays being used by Apple?
Hey, if IBM can make a G5 cool enough to be portable, I'm sure Toshiba can make a 1.5" hard drive with a decent transfer rate.
And 20" OLED screen prototypes have been made, they're making them last longer ... so announcements even cooler than the G5 and Panther will happen eventually. The question is how long and how much is it going to cost

[ January 08, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Oled for sure

The 2.5" drive form factor is pretty good as it is - smaller does not help a portable much.
The high caches and higher rotations on the 2.5" drives will bring them into line with 3.5" performance. A pair of 2.5s in an array would be very cool on the 17".

The Portables are getting noisy with the fan being small :(
Weird my G5 makes less noise than my daughers iBook

If you've ever heard an X-serve you'll kow why it's not a portable concept. 2 vacuum cleaners running is about right. :cool:

·
Registered
933 Posts
All the rumour sites have been pointing (for months) to some serious new cooling technology (likely liquid based) as under intense development at Apple in order to implement an (even 90 nm) G5 in the thin portable form factor.

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Yes liquid would make sense and use the entire aluminum case for circulation. Meltdown if it broke tho

The OLED screens will be thin so perhaps a "radiator behind the screen up in the air works. :cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, mycatsnameis, that one of the rumors, that Apple is working with some new form of cooling, the other rumor is that there is a version of the PowerPC 970 being designed for portables. I don't know which to believe.

And then of course there is the rumor Macdoc mentioned, dual-G4 Powerbooks. The 17" Powerbook looks like it should be roomy enough to be able to hold 2 G4s.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
All the rumour sites have been pointing (for months) to some serious new cooling technology (likely liquid based)
What's worse than wetting your pants?

Having your laptop computer do it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts