Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most bizarre things for a switcher is the behaviour of font size in OS X mail.

The program doesn't respect allocated font sizes like outlook does and you often get ridiculously small fonts on screen, often worse in print. My investigation in various help fora was that resizing the display window would adjust the print size (who came up with that twisted logic?!
). OK, it works, but then the rest of your text (e.g. in a thread) is enormous and a message takes 5 pages...

Funny, but this has not come across this community as a subject. Anyway, does Panther fix this? Also, a 'benefit' of the new mail program is that full names no longer appear in the 'to:' etc. fields. Can this 'helpful' feature be disabled?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think it's fixed as I got a tiny font email yesterday. But I think it's because I first opened the email on another computer first and then got the same email on Mail.

In general, I find that Mail takes care of the font style and size vert well as I have my message font set to be Lucida Grande.

Or you can ask your friends to send email in plain text. ;)

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Does anyone have any idea WHY OS X mail treats font sizes differently than Outllook? What is strange is that both platforms use the same truetype fonts.

Subsidiary question: why is it that 100% in WordX looks nothing like 100% in Windows or the real world for that matter. What I liked about my old Mac (yes 512k and up) was that you had real WISISYG, so I could literally place a piece of paper in front of my screen and take measurements from there.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Did you know that the Mac uses 72DPI as the screen resolution and Windows uses 96 DPI??

Now you know why Windows is not the preferred computer for DTP.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I didn't. Is that why Windows text is so much crisper and legible? I guess it doesn't help DTP people and others who use 'multiples of 72' for their work; but I find text legibility a major drawback on OS X.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one dropped to page 2 rather quickly, so it's my last attempt to get insight on one of the mosts bizarre 'features' of OS X.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Actually I didn't. Is that why Windows text is so much crisper and legible? I guess it doesn't help DTP people and others who use 'multiples of 72' for their work; but I find text legibility a major drawback on OS X.
"Crisp and legible?" I always thought it was "crude and ugly." To each his own, I guess.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Gerbill - The text rendering in Windows on LCDs is ugly and I really didn't enjoy it. That is until I learnt about ClearType, once I set the setting to ClearType it made reading text even easier then OS X. Most of my peeves in OS X stem from the CRT I use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.