Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the GTA, Allen and finch area on rogers hi speed. Powermac 8600/ 233. I've read of connection speeds up to 1000 kbps yet I only get 155 to 195 at best. My question for the ehmac community and tech savy is, does the speed of the machine affect the speed of the connection to the net? Or is it a supply problem ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well...

If you are talking raw download speeds, then your machine should be more than fast enough.

However, if you are looking into how quickly IE or Safari can download and then display (render) web pages, then yes, MHz will make rendering faster.

Also, do note that 150 KBps (B as in Bytes) is faster than 1000Kbps (b as in bits) - 8 bits in a byte would make that 1200Kbps.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Also, remember that Rogers Hi-Speed Internet is shared; therefore you do not have a 'dedicated line' and the more users that are online, the less speed you actually get.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yoyo,

I live near you and use Rogers too. Earlier this year, I went from a Performa 6400/180 with 80 meg memory to a imac 1ghz 17" LCD with 512 meg memory. The new configuration gave me dramatic internet speed increases in all modes - from downloads to web window rendering.

This improvement comes from the sum of many factors on my new imac - larger memory, faster processor, Safari browser, OS-X, more cache, etc. They also upgraded my original modem to a Terayon - worth asking them if you have one of the faster ones.

Used Rogers for a long time wih the 6400, and it was still faster than anything available on a regular 64k modem, but not what I had hoped for or expected. I had asked the same question you have, and had mixed answers. Still, I bought the imac and have absolutely no regrets.

As for the non exclusive comm. line as mentioned above. A few years ago I heard this about Rogers and asked them directly about it. They responded that they have a standard maximum number of subscribers for each line, and add new ones well before that maximum is reached. This has proven to be the case even during the rapid increase in subscibers they had a couple years ago. There are a whole bunch of Rogers users in my neighborhood and I have heard of no complaints.

Bottom line, I can't believe how I could have lived with the slow internet capability I had before. This is heaven!

Johnny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts