Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am SURE that Steve jobs knows that some mac users -- who knows how many -- would like to see a 'video iPod". Yet, there's nothing like this bubbling around Cupertino that we know of. Microoft is developing this type of device, slated for release mid 2004:

http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page474.html

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Mobile vid?? not sure that I like that. What is it going to be priced @? And at least you can walk and listen to music, but are you going to walk AND watch vids? do I want to sit there and watch vid on such a small screen? I'm more than indifferent about such a unit - unless someone can prove to me it's practicality.

What do you mean about Jobs knowing more?

H!

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
David Pogue's column in the NY Times has the answer..

Pogue Interview with Jobs.

You may need to register in order to view the article.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
So? Microsoft also demo'ed the SmartWatch, what two years ago? And it's still hasn't been released because they can't get it to work? I won't hold my breath for their "oops! I bumped into another signpost while walking and watching" video gadget to be released anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
KPS - Thanks for the link.

Jobs nailed it. His points were precisely the ones that I thought of. Syncing video? No thanks. Songs are listened to over and over and over again... Both (sound + video) are consumed much differently.

MS might be investing in a losing venture - and unlike the XBOX - this one will never take off.

H!

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I figured you'd like that O'henri...very perseptive of you actually, I think Jobs would hire you. ;)

Yup, I think we all know who the true visionary is when it comes to Gates and Jobs. Jobs does know what people want out of their digital lives...that's been proven by what Apple has been putting out since his return.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GREAT interview with Jobs! And it illustrates what I meant by "Jobs maybe knowing something Gates doesn't", ohenri

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
there was so much gushing in this articlw i had to quote:

quote: "So what do I think? Very, very cool. In fact, the only thing cooler for me would be a 40Gb Pocket PC Phone Edition with integrated TV tuner. dual-mode 802.11a / 802.11g wireless, Bluetooth, biometrics, camera, and 3G mobile. But that's a pipe dream for now."

apparently windose users crave biometrics. " if my computer could fingerprint me (pant) and recognize my beautiful big blue eyes (9 times out of 10)[GASP!] and photograph me wanting all this extra security (moan) while fingerprinting me again! (OH YEAH!) then i would be satisfied (uugh uuhn, thrust thrust {wink wink, know what I mean} FORTY GIGABYTES!!!"

apologies if i've missed any nested paranthesis.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ok viewed this one and even with windows media player 9.0 its about 2/3rds the resolution of Quick time Sorry I thought the problem was with media player 7 but even with the upgrade to 9 the playback was to say the least lousy
The video of Carla from CES on the HP iPod was better but still not up to the Quicktime stream of Steve from MacWorld

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brian, do you have a URL on the Carly Fiorina video, please?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
PosterBoy, I think you're right. MS thinks that its portable media devices platform will sync with a media centre device and you'll also be forced only to download content through a Microsoft version of the "MediaStore" (all encrypted via WM and its DRM). While I do think some people quite like to take DVDs on long journeys or even to waiting rooms, will they want to do this with such restrictions? It will not be a large market compared with home viewing.

I think Microsoft simply wants to supplant all physical, digital media with DRM'd electronic media. They are selling this to the content companies as the only platform that is start to finish "secure". Which is a total joke given the "security" of Windows. Execept, this is where Paladium, etc comes into play. In other words, the cost of the convenience of the mobile devices will be that you have to invest in new hardware/software from Microsoft to allow you to download the content for your loss-leader portable device.

There's a big disconnect here with current "freedoms" we enjoy. Should Apple counter this? Yes, but not on Microsofts terms. Over time, syncing massive files will be practical but the iTMS model should use a streaming model for video. Streaming with temporary (X hour/day storage) and keep the price way low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts