Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a god? Are there several? Which god is the right god? The supernatural is commonly invoked to fill in gaps of knowledge? Why? Is it convenience, intellectual laziness, or what? Many times in our history discovery has negated our need for gods of convenience. Why should this trend suddenly stop?

Is the human mind/brain perfect? Would we really want to convict someone in court based on a "feeling" rather than evidence? Why would we use the "faith" that a human holds to justify or explain anything at all including the existence of non-existence of a god? Thank god (any god you want) we have the scientific method to cut through the crap. :)

Can a human whose life spans 80 years truly understand what a million years is? Or a billion? I could design a mechanism to lift a 50 metric ton bolder 100 metres in the air with the motor in my MacBook hard drive. It might take 47 years, but it can be done. What can be done in a million years? Or a billion? How about 4.5 billion on Earth? How about 13.4 billion years in the entire universe we can know within the event horizon?

Is there any relationship between religiosity and "goodness" on a micro (individual) scale? How about on a macro (neighbourhood, county, country) scale? If not, why bother invoking the supernatural for a set of morals? We can, and already have improved greatly upon the outdated (and sometimes, truly abysmal) moral standards frozen in time by the documentation of religions.

All we truly know does not point in surety to the existence of a god. Gods created by religion are manifestations of an embarrassingly limited, colloquial and intellectually lazy species.

Rob

·
Premium Member
15,514 Posts
This might be an interesting discussion to revive.

This seems like you were as lost as I was trying to sort out how the new ehMac Forum stuff is laid out and working...

One can encounter some interesting things... 😉

And I wonder where Rob is these days... and only two posts here many many years ago...

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I like discussions of metaphysics, especially when they lead to interesting insights. A friend of mine once compared God to the wind; we can’t see it directly, but we can see and feel it’s effects. I always found that to be a comforting notion.

·
Premium Member
15,514 Posts
I like discussions of metaphysics, especially when they lead to interesting insights. A friend of mine once compared God to the wind; we can’t see it directly, but we can see and feel it’s effects. I always found that to be a comforting notion.

That is a fitting analogy.... I hadn't heard that before but I like it.... 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
183 Posts

In spite of my atheism, this poem gives me the most lovely goosebumps:

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
In spite of my atheism, this poem gives me the most lovely goosebumps:

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

Nice! Maybe God is simply a breath of fresh air.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts