Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much speed increase would be achieved in comparing a 66mhz to 100mhz? Would this be seen in everyday actions. internet, burning cds.

I am looking at the purchasing a lombard vs a pismo. The bus speed along with the usb/firewire ports are really the only difference between the two powerbooks that I can see.

If I get the lombard I would buy a PCMCIA Adapter and hookup an external CD burner via firewire. I guess my second question would be could this type of setup burn cd's at say 48X as the burn states? OR would it drop down. Also would this be due to the bus speed or just the slow speed of the standard 4200rpm hardrive.

I know this a lot but I an far from being even being a novice in the mac world.
Thanks

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The bus speed makes a big difference - I just went from a 66 MHz system bus to 100 MHz system bus, and the difference is definitely noticable in most uses. And yes, the system bus does affect the speed at which your Mac can burn CD-R/CD-RW discs.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I agree with Lars about the bus speed making a difference, but according to The Apple Museum, both machines have a 100 mhz bus ( check here ). The processor L2 cache is also the same if the Lombard is 400 mhz. The video cards are different (ATI Rage Lt vs Rage Mobility), but both have 8 megs VRAM. Thus the biggest difference appears to be the firewire ports. Given the age of the machines, I would only consider the Lombard over the Pismo if the price differential is great enough ($200 or so). I own a Pismo and still like it very much, and it runs OS X well. But I don't think the difference would be all that noticable if both machines you are considering have the same-speed processor.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
That's incorrect Dr. Fox. ;)
66 mHz on that board and yes bus makes a difference as it affects RAM bandwidth, how high you can go on processor without tapering off the gains.
Speed is a function of all the parts - bus is important and it's good to see the G5s finally get up to and ahead of the curve with 800+ mHz bus speeds = :eek: Lombard 400

All that aside I'd opt for a Pismo over a Lombard for a variety of reasons.

[ September 08, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It is like asking if there is a difference between an eMac and a PowerMac? The bus speed will provide more speed but is the extra speed warranted.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ohmygoodness, MacDoc; you're right; Apple has this as 66 mhz ( Apple page ). I sent in a correction to the Apple Museum. :eek:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I have a Lombard 333 with a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card
(Which I bought at Mydigital.com for $24.99.u.s.d.) and
an external burner, The burner works fine...But only in OSX 10.1.5.

I haven't tried to burn at the full 48x speed yet, But at
24x it burns quite quickly. (I haven't made a coaster yet.)

A word of advice though,
When you aren't using the laptop...Don't close it...Leave
it open, It'll put less wear on the keyboard.
(Everytime you close these types of laptops...The
screen presses on the keyboard which may or may not loosen the keys)

Link to Mydigital.com:

MyDigital

Dave :cool:

[ September 08, 2003, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your feedback, I think I am that much closer to making a decision and a whole lot more comfortable with the decision that I will make.
Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.