Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my mouse pointer froze.

Had to shut the Mac off with the power button and restart to get it to work again.
Is there a better way to do this if the mouse pointer freezes?

But I digress. Today the same thing happened..........all this the first time in about eight years. After rebooting via the power button again and getting a bit annoyed, it happened again except this time I took a look at the mouse and noticed that the LED in the optical mouse was no longer lit.
So I unplugged it from the USB port on the mac and plugged it in again - LED came on - mouse worked fine.

Happened to me a few times, now I also see the mouse LED going dim.

Anyone else ever run into this? I'm wondering if the mouse (LED) is getting to the end of it's life or if the USB port is shutting down because it's pretty warm in the room where the computer is. No air-conditioning - room temperature is at 31.5 C.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The mouse is defective.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mouse is defective.
What dayya mean - the mouse is defective! I've only had it for eight years and I don't use it more than 16 hours a day!
It's barely broken in....................

Actually - I'm going to try it in another USB port to see what happens - it's just a strange syndrome. Next time it acts up I'll check the illuminated Logiteck logo on the top to see if it goes out as well.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Isn't the dimming LED a feature of optical mice. Ie. when you move them they get brighter, but if you leave it alone it gets dim. I've noticed this on a few mice that are working. Or is that a separate LED.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I moved my mouse to a USB port on my monitor - was plugged into the Mac directly before, and I have the same problem.
Every once in a while, it totally looses power, the little blue logo at the top that is normally lit, goes out as well.
Unplug it and replug it and I'm back in business.

I think Lars is right, the mouse has become defective.

Now to find a suitable replacement - this one was shaped so perfectly for my hands.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Had a similar problem with an Apple optical mouse (pre-Mighty Mouse). The USB cable was pinched right where it entered the mouse and at the correct angle (not hard to acheive) the mouse would lose power. If I had it at the exact correct spot I could convince the computer that it had a mouse connected then disconnected about 100 times a minute. Kernel panics ensued.

It's unlikely that the laser or LED or pickup will die. Get dirty, yes, but not fail outright. The cable takes the brunt of the abuse and will likely be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The USB cable was pinched right where it entered the mouse
I thought of a cable problem to and wiggled the cable both at the mouse and USB connector end after it died. No reaction.
But when I unplug and replug it, it comes alive instantly every time.
Right now, I'm using an older MS optical mouse - it works much better than the shaky Logitech one which also hesitated sometimes. I thought it was the Mac being busy with something else, but I get none of this hesitation with the MS mouse.

Time to splurge and spend $10 to get a new mouse - hopefully something will show up on sale soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our MightyMouse is quite defective. It's very difficult to get it to do anything you want it to and sometimes the pointer decides to take a trip across the screen in the complete wrong direction! So we picked up this Logitec Cordless Optical 3 button mouse on sale and it is quite good although I miss the side-scrolling feature of the MightyMouse. I was initially thinking that you might have a short. They are sometimes hard to pinpoint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts