Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two cases today where a document suddenly became read only or I couldn't open it at all because I supposedly didn't have the right permissions.

Trying to figure out what is going on.

I'm on 10.11.5

First document was a two page pdf.
Comes up that it can't be opened because I don't have the right permissions.
The pdf was on my Mac, I had looked at it before, so don't know why there would suddenly be a problem.
Checked Info and it shows that I have read & write permissions.
I changed that to read only, then back to read & write, but that made no difference.
The problem seems to be just with Preview - when I tried to open the pdf with either Acrobat 9 or Acrobat Reader - worked with either one.

The second problem was with an Excel spreadsheet I just updated.
Comes back with the message that I can't update it - to update it I need to assign a different name.
Saved the changes as "untitled" that worked fine.
But then I thought of any changes - I had changed the name of the spreadsheet and added p/o (as in part of).
Turns out if I delete p/o from the name I can update and save it just fine.
Is the Mac OS getting confused because of the "/"?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Have you tried a restart on your Mac? I find the current version of Preview is flaky, particularly with pdfs and gifs. It does not behave the same way from day to day. I have reported this to Apple, but who knows if they even read those reports? A restart often bumps it into a different behaviour on my MBP running OSX Sierra 10.12.2.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried a restart on your Mac? I find the current version of Preview is flaky, particularly with pdfs and gifs. It does not behave the same way from day to day. I have reported this to Apple, but who knows if they even read those reports? A restart often bumps it into a different behaviour on my MBP running OSX Sierra 10.12.2.
Yes, I did restart the Mac after that happened - no difference.

I find ElCapitan is not as flawless as 10.6 (where I upgraded from).
More awkward to use and more bugs that haben't been fixed.
Instead of trying to crank out a new version of the Mac OS every year, I wish Apple would stick with one, fix the problems.and clean up the User Interface.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
added p/o (as in part of).
Turns out if I delete p/o from the name I can update and save it just fine.
Is the Mac OS getting confused because of the "/"?
A good possibility as the "/" is computer talk for change directory. Best to avoid using any such characters and some are forbidden and on some list somewhere.

I find ElCapitan is not as flawless as 10.6 (where I upgraded from).
More awkward to use and more bugs that haben't been fixed.
Instead of trying to crank out a new version of the Mac OS every year, I wish Apple would stick with one, fix the problems.and clean up the User Interface.

+1. Ditto and in full agreement here.

If you think El Cap'n is bad, don't bother trying Sierra.
I tried and there are just too many "features" removed or things that just don't work.

I ended up going back to using Mavericks.

And SL is sitting on a volume partition if and when I need it. Old AppleWorks can still do stuff that not even Apple's latest Pages.app can do.
Gheese, snort!! :mad:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Well, different strokes and all, FWIW, Sierra works flawlessly for me. Having Siri is a great bonus.

Mid 2015 MBP purchased new in July 2016, 1 TB HD 2.8 Ghz, Intel core i7, 16 GB RAM.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Mid-2015 Retina MBP 13" w/ 8 gigs RAM, Sierra working pretty darn good for me too....

I think one of the keys to smooth sailing with any of the modern versions of OS X is to have an SSD as your boot drive...

YMMV of course.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think any of my issues with ElCapitan would be resolved with an SSD.

Maybe I notice them more because I went from 10.6 straight to 10.11
I also use a desktop with a 24-inch monitor - no Mike, no camera just headphones for the few times I want to listen to something.
So Siri for me is useless.

Everyone else in the family uses a MacBook pro but they are really hesitant to upgrade - mostly because the old software they are on is very stable and they are used to their UI.
Apple should be ADDING capabilities and functionality, not CHANGING things that worked perfectly fine.
Like "Save As" - getting rid of that was one of their really idiotic ideas, then bringing it back by having to hold the option key down was even more idiotic.
Just one small example that annoys me many times each day.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Like "Save As" - getting rid of that was one of their really idiotic ideas, then bringing it back by having to hold the option key down was even more idiotic.

Agreed, but you may be able to get it back to the normal Mac way:
Bring back the Save As command to your Mac's File menu[/I
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/bring-back-the-save-as-command-to-your-macs-file-menu/

And if that doesn't work for you OS, try a search and modify it a bit if needed:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=R9iCWM3MNKTP8gf0pbHoAw

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks...

That worked like a charm.

So now the question - what is the downside of doing this?
I assume I will have to do this little set up everytime I upgrade the OS - but that is a very small price to pay.
This also seems to solve the other annoyance I had where the original file disappears (when using the method of holding the option key down) and one has to hit the "revert" button (or a name to that effect) to keep the original file.

I'm going to start to record the other annoyances with ElCapitan - maybe there are simple fixes like this one for those too.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
to record the other annoyances with ElCapitan - maybe there are simple fixes like this one for those too.

That's why google and bing can be your useful friend with some web searches.

Just enter your question/problem into your browser's address bar and check some of the hits and results.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do use google - also did in this case but that was a while back when I first encountered this problem.
The only work-around at that time that came up was using the option key to change "Duplicate" to "Save As..."

The 'permanent fix' via the keyboard shortcut wasn't shown at that time - at least google didn't bring it up.

But regardless - I find that the advice/information I get here on ehMac is usually much better and more trustworthy than what google brings up

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
krs,

BTW; Did you get your original "read/write" permissions problem sorted out???

Possibly using Disk Utility repairs or its first aid???

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
krs,

BTW; Did you get your original "read/write" permissions problem sorted out???
Not really...

After I opened the pdf file with Acrobat I left it like that.

Just went back to try to open that pdf with Preview and it opened as if nothing had ever happened.

But I have seen similar behaviour with ElCapitan before - something doesn't work the way it should (and did before) and after one tries a work-a-round (assuming there is one), the problem suddenly disappears.

It seems a lot of code was rewritten and it's not as robust as the earlier versions of OS X.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had the same issue opening jpg images with Preview.
I had 26 images I as working on - 21 opened fine and suddenly the last 5 wouldn't open andgave a message that permissions were preventing the file from opening and to correct permissions.
Except that permissions were fine when I checked.
Those images also opened with every other image application I had.

Eventually I decided to close preview and launch it again - problem disappeared on all of the five problem images.

Posting this here for future reference.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I use Preview daily and have noticed this type of weird behaviour on occasion to as well as other issues with gif files too. Very flaky in Sierra for whatever reason, but only on occasion.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
… … …
It seems a lot of code was rewritten and it's not as robust as the earlier versions of OS X.
I use Preview daily and have noticed this type of weird behaviour on occasion to as well as other issues with gif files too. Very flaky in Sierra for whatever reason, but only on occasion.

Why is it that they seem to have to re-write so much code with a newer OS and manage to screw up so much stuff rather than just improve things and keep the good reliable working code???

It seems a lot of Apple OS code gets changed just for the sake of some change rather than actually improving some stuff for some reason.

But it is nice when some improvements have been made and they actually work, but then again if they didn't, they wouldn't be improvements would they??? :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad I had posted this.

Problem just happened again - quitting Preview and then opening the file (Preview was set as the default application for pdf) resolved the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts