Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to open a .doc in Appleworks 6.2.3 on my wife's iMac running OS9.2.2. Obviously. I'm having no luck. (I really don't like Appleworks, didn't when it was Claris and still don't... but I digress.)
I can open the .doc here on my pismo but she needs to be able to open her mail on her machine.
I'm trying to set up the File Exchange control panel but can't complete the process. Her machine doesn't recognize Appleworks application icon. She can open the program, uses it daily, but the dialogue box from the control panel can't see the app. What's up with that?
So, is there something I'm missing here, some step or another control pane?
Should she have a MaclinkPlus control panel in control panels (she doesn't, I do)?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, wasn't paying attention to which area I was in. I'm going to ask that it by moved to help.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Sounds like AppleWorks isn't set up properly - maybe missing some components. I would suggest:

(1) Re-install AppleWorks.

(2) re-build the desktop.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey archangel, AppleWorks - one of the most underappreciated apps out there.. :D

From your message, it's hard to tell exactly where the problem is coming in here. Have you tried:

- dragging and dropping the .doc file on the AppleWorks icon?
- opening AppleWorks and trying FILE->Open ?
- If MacLinkPlus is required, but not available, perhaps reinstall and /or update?
- Perhaps you should upgrade to AW 6.2.5 for OS 9?
http://www.apple.com/appleworks/update/

And if I may make one mention of AppleWorks' coolest feature, it's the flowing text boxes, something Word just can't do as nicely (at all?).

:cool:
M

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses:
will download update, didn't see that when I looked this afternoon;
didn't try the drag/drop, did try opening from app earlier, didn't work;
thinking about the rebuild as a possibility but usually the sympton is a plain icon not an invisible one, can't hurt;
is MacLinkPlus required, or is the translation done within AW? do others have a MaclinkPlus control panel?;
might have to do reinstalls.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
This is from Apple's AppleWorks page:
(2) Microsoft Word and Excel compatibility provided by MacLinkPlus, a product of DataViz, Inc.
The DataViz translators are installed when AppleWorks is installed - so perhaps you just need to reinstall. The translator files might have been trashed or something...

:D
M

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to mention that when my wife tries to open the .doc file, the only choice given is Nisus.
No sign of Appleworks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I did the upgrade. Partial success - I can open the .doc file from AW. Still can't drag/drop or double click to open, nor can I get any app to show up in the "file exchange" control panel dialogues.
Stranger and stranger, I'm going to bed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rebuilt the desktop, bless techtool lite.
Now AW is given as a choice, so some progress, but now says translators can't open it.
File Exchange control panel now has .doc translated by AW in translations but doesn't have .doc in mapping. Probable reason why translators don't recognize it directly. Will try to re-install control panel tomorrow. Hmmm, could be the time to use target mode and install the already set up one from here (pismo).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts