Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been thinking about this recently and now as I drag my main images folder to my window's left column. I have a difficulty trusting my computer on this- working out of a folder I dragged to the left, when I have a 2nd internal drive with the same files which I sync to. I often wonder if my computer will inadvertently get confused and work from the synced folder on my second drive rather than my source folder. Kind of foolish, but nevertheless, worrisome. I know, I know. Back up onto another drive (preferably external). Just wondering how many other users out there have similar "unfounded" worries such as this.

·
Premium Member
5,260 Posts
Computers are incredibly stupid devices. In fact, they are what I like to call "Perfectly Stupid"; a combination of mind-boggling stupidity and awe-inspiring determination to get a job done with no dawdling or shirking whatsoever, and no opinion as to whether the job is too dull or mundane to do at all. In other words they do exactly as they are told, no matter what.

If an application tells them to do something stupid, they try to do it, and if they can, they will then do it. If I tell it to do something stupid, it will also obey me without question.

Modern computers are often programmed to act smart. This, of course, is just the perfectly stupid computer doing exactly what it's told, which in this case would be to ask a question someone else thought would be a good idea ... do you really want to delete [name of file]? If that is a stupid question, it will still be asked.

So, although I do trust my computer, I don't trust it to do what I want.

I trust it to do only what it's told, by me, by a programmer, or by the serious programming bug that caused it to throw away all my emails. I mean, sometimes, I might make a mistake and send a file to the "wrong" folder. Because it's stupid enough to do exactly what it's told, and competent enough to go a great job of it, if what you mean by trust is "trust it to do the right thing", then you can't trust it, because it has no idea what the right thing is.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What you are asking is do I trust that if I select something in a GUI that the Mac will do the action I wanted to the actual file.

Yes I do.

You did not "move" your files to the side bar, you made an alias for your images folder. In fact there are not any folders on your drive at all, it is not like a filing cabinet. It is more like a door bell button.
The button you push does not make any sound, it causes something else to make a sound. When you push your neighbour's door bell button do you ever believe yours might ring?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "Alias" I dragged to the sidebar is my images folder on one of my two internal drives. My other internal drive basically mirrors the other. I'm okay with it as long as my computer remembers what folder belongs to what drive. Sounds simple, yet with something going haywire, as things do once in awhile, I am concerned with that order "sticking". Kind of a nonsense post. I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.