Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Do you have external speakers hooked up to your Mac?

• Yes

Votes: 95 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 17.4%
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Vapour Trail
1,424 Posts
SRS iWow wanted to charge me (who had just bought the thing for Leopard) in order to get a version that worked with Snow Leopard. Thus endeth my association with that company.
Yeah, sucks. I'm running the older version with 10.5.8 on my machine, Mrs. ScanMan has the latest for SL on her new mini. Gotta tell you, chief, the new iWow version has a nicely upgraded interface.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I've had these for a couple of years and they're fine for desktop sound.

What provides the biggest bang for the buck, and I know a few of you use it, is SRS iWow for iTunes – night and day, on a weenie system like this.
I have the same set... I discovered something when I first bought them though... if you hack some speaker cables with RCA ends, you can connect bookshelf speakers into the speaker inputs on the sub and get a MUCH better sound out of the set up. You get the best of both worlds, the decent thump from the sub, and the better output from real speakers (not those rinky-dink little things).

I have a set of Infinity SL bookshelves hooked into mine.

Try it! :)

·
Vapour Trail
1,424 Posts
I have the same set... I discovered something when I first bought them though... if you hack some speaker cables with RCA ends, you can connect bookshelf speakers into the speaker inputs on the sub and get a MUCH better sound out of the set up. You get the best of both worlds, the decent thump from the sub, and the better output from real speakers (not those rinky-dink little things).
Midrange? I don't need no stinkin' midrange!

Seriously though, what you're talking about is something I've often considered. Glad to hear someone's done it. The sub is very nice. I've thought of pairing it with Audio Engines like Lars has. Desk space is at a premium, but I don't think those suckers are toooo big. Got a model # on those Infinitys?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I run my audi inputs and outputs through a Presonus Firebox, and I have two Yorkville YSM1Ps hooked up as reference monitors/speakers. Sounds amazing. Great for mixing. Nice flat response.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sure do....

Do you have external speakers hooked up to your Mac? If so, which ones? (Please provide linky to speaker website, photos if possible!?)

Have Bose 301's in the 'office/den' directly connected to the iMac and some Carver Amazing Loud speakers hooked up thru stereo via Airport Express! Thus can play music from iTunes via iMac, MBP and old reliable iBook!

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Energy Connoisseur CF-30's Bi-Amped and an Energy S10.3 Sub connected to a Pioneer VSX-919-HK.

In the new year, the CF-30's are getting replaced with CF-70's and the 30's will be put in the rear. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love my music.

I have some old, but very lovely stereo equipment hooked up to my Mac Pro. A Classe CAP-80 stereo amp with a pair of B&W CM1/CM2 speakers, great for detailed sound quality. I wish I could take advantage of the toslink connection on the Mac. The standard speaker connectors seem very touchy.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
The VSX-919-HK doesnt support bi amping. I'm confused.
It supports internal bi-amping if you're not going to use the surround back speakers. :)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Midrange? I don't need no stinkin' midrange!

Seriously though, what you're talking about is something I've often considered. Glad to hear someone's done it. The sub is very nice. I've thought of pairing it with Audio Engines like Lars has. Desk space is at a premium, but I don't think those suckers are toooo big. Got a model # on those Infinitys?
hmm... might be on the back, i just looked at the front. they're nothing incredibly special, but they sound reasonable. im more particularly fussy with the output from my macbook pro. so far im not all that impressed with the quality.. im constantly adjusting the EQ in iTunes.

i inherited an Outlaw audio amp wth a USB DAC.. i think im gonna hook that up to improve the sound, and skip the sub's amp.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I was confused, because I looked up the receiver, and Pioneer said nothing about biamping on their (poorly made) website. Thats a really neat feature!
Indeed the combination of the Pioneer with the Energy Connoisseur series is a great one. I've actually picked up 2 CB-20's since I posted last.

Now the 30's aren't bi-amped and I'm running in 7.1. :)

Tested a copy of Transformers in DTS-HD. :0

Phenominal. :)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I forgot to mention, I have an old RCA all in one vinyl/8 track cabinet connected by Airport Express in the family room.

I'm considering ripping out all of the internals of the unit and replacing them with modern electronics. Although, I don't have enough free time these days. :)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I'd also like to hear what more folks are using. I'm looking for a little set for my parents to connect to their iMac. Primarily for my father to listen to his Country while he's tipping a few back. :)

I was considering another set of Logitech Z-5500's, but I think they might be a little overkill for their uses. :eek:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.