Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Do you name your computer(s)?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came up with my girlfriend a while back that I have a name for all of my computers. My
7600: Oxcart,
PB3400: Isis
eMate: Samos

She found all this extrememly odd, and refused to give her new computer a name.

Interestingly, I am not the only mac user I know who's named their Mac. She's a PC user, so maybe that's the problem, but I wanted to know from fellow mac users:

Do you name your computer(s)?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
All of my computers have a name, if for no other reason than it makes it a lot easier to find them on the network. I mean, it's a lot easier to remember <code>ssh tesko</code> than <code>ssh 10.0.1.3</code>.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Apple has given them all codenames, and thus that is what I call them. 'Sides QuickSilver and DragonKid sound better then that silver-gray towere and that ugly beige old 68k.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
it isn't a nerd thing. The computer needs a name if you are networking different computers or if you don't want your device names to be like d49gs8e

I have named my two computers and all the devices (airport, ipod etc...) after all of the SEINFELD characters!

HAHAHA

·
Registered
719 Posts
My Mac

My iBook

'nuff said

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
bloodyface - Nerd detector?
Naming computers makes it easier to distinguish between various computers. Unless you only have 1, then I guess naming it would be like naming a pet.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
nope. not buying it. i give my computers names for networking purposes, but they're names like g4 450, g3 laptop 233, etc.

anything above and beyond that smacks of nerdiness. i don't make the rules. don't shoot the messenger.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well, I guess its your network bloodyface. I stand by QuickSilver sounding better then G4 800... I would say Nerdy would reach the point where every computer you own is named after a lesser known character off Star Trek.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Whaddya mean calling people nerds? The correct term is geek and there's really no shame in being one (I mean hey we're all members of a computer enthusiast site, right?) Admittedly my Mac-naming naming scheme is pretty dull (e.g. iBook), I decided to saddle my old PC with the name Wally since it seemed appropriately goofy for a machine that has given me so much grief over the years.

I have a few friends who babysit servers for a living and they're forever coming up with naming schemes, not because it's cute but because names are easier to remember and to manage than numbers will ever be.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
bloodyface - Don't worry, we all love you too!

I've always hated the terms geek and nerd, but many here carry such names with pride. I've never seen either used in a positive context before, so that could be why.

We all love banter. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
my ibook: rudebwoy

my ipod: podbwoy

:D

phil

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
My computers currently have an Egyptian Theme.

iBook is Seth (god of Chaos and other such things)
my GF's iMac FP is Isis
the ABS is called Pyramid
The whole network is called "Abydos That Was"

Previously, my 333 iMac was Hactar and my GF's 333 iMac was Proginoskes

--PB

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's how I named my computers:

Desktop computer is George, my portable is Gracie and the Cube is 'Cube'.

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
We don't name ours other than physical location which helps - you know Front office etc BUT we have a client that has all Fruit names and there is NO relation to what or where the computer is

Okay Banana is down - where or what the hell is Banana
Description/location makes the fixit man's task way easier. ;)

Now we've seen some very cute volume names and icons - probably the Simpsons most often with lots of others as well. I find colourful icons really usefull when trying to fnd my drives on a cluttered 1700x1300 desktop
I
icons

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,646 Posts
Roxinante, Don Quixote's faithful horse.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
My Home machine (450mhz Sawtooth) - 1 Infinite Loop
My Work machine (17" FP iMac) - Cafe Luxo

·
Registered
171 Posts
At work, we named our computers from characters on the Simpsons (not my first choice). However, I'm Marge, and when the new guy came in (he was a placement student doing internship) we called his computer Milhouse!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts