Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in 2 places?? They are full forums, listed in the main group, and also subforums listed in the help forum. They are publicly available rss feeds, do we really need to have them in 2 separate places here?

It's kinda sucky from a usability perspective to have to scroll down 2 full page downs to get to any sort of useful content.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
It's kinda sucky from a usability perspective to have to scroll down 2 full page downs to get to any sort of useful content.
I agree with 100%.

The ehMac forum community is great, but the layout leaves a lot to be desired.
I get this on my scren, a 19-inch LCD. Lots of empty unused spaces - huge white bands on either side and the usable content only starts 2/3 down the page - maybe my browser is doing that - don't know.

I don't wan't it cluttered either, but having to scroll to get anything but the very first new messages is becoming a pain.

The support feeds are really information and reference points. I have only looked at them once since they were put up. They way they are set up now they just waste screen space.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
This was too suble for me - mostly because I didn't expect such a quick reaction.

There is usually a big discussion before anything gets changed on a typical website. Obviously, ehmac isn't typical. ;)

Many thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want o get rid of the left/right whitespace try this:

at the bottom of the screen change your layout selection to ehmac fixed, then back to ehmac liquid and voila, the liquid layout works again. I just noticed this one today as I realized that my choice of liquid layout was not so liquid, but toggling it off and back on again did the trick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha, also the one called "test" in there is a default vbulletin one, have never seen ehmac looking so blue before!!

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
If you want o get rid of the left/right whitespace try this:

at the bottom of the screen change your layout selection to ehmac fixed, then back to ehmac liquid and voila, the liquid layout works again. I just noticed this one today as I realized that my choice of liquid layout was not so liquid, but toggling it off and back on again did the trick.
Thanks -

I initially thought this would help, but it doesn't.

I still can't see anymore of the 'index' page without scrolling (which is the big issue), but now the title of each thread is too far separated from the poster/numberof replies/etc. information which makes the liquid layout awkward to use.

I often wonder if people who create these layouts ever look at their 'creations'

What would have made sense is to move the advertisements into the white empty spaces on the right which is what all the other forums do that I visit - but ehMac already nixed that idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the main reason ehmax won't cave on moving the google ads down is that they are a revenue source to offset the costs of hosting (and keep this community up and running) and they just don't get anywhere near as many clicks when moved off to the side. Most of the google adsense revenue probably comes as clickthru's from google search, and you want to have that front and center or you don't make any money.

The liquid layouts also require you to set your browser width to csomething that works for your needs width wise, if stuff is too far apart then try making your browser window a little narrower ;)

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I think the main reason ehmax won't cave on moving the google ads down is that they are a revenue source to offset the costs of hosting (and keep this community up and running) and they just don't get anywhere near as many clicks when moved off to the side.
I wonder if that is true or just another myth. Pretty much all the other forums I visit have all the little ads on the side - only one at the top which is part of the header - just as ehMac has as well.
If they thought the got more revenue earning clicks by placing the ads at the top, I would think they would have done that as well.

The liquid layouts also require you to set your browser width to something that works for your needs width wise, if stuff is too far apart then try making your browser window a little narrower ;)
I tried that already, but it messes up all my other web browsing - specifically other forums. They have the ads on the side and by making the window narrower, I get a lot less of their 'index' or text on the page than before. EhMac is the odd man out here and I don't feel changing browser width constantly.
But thanks for the suggestion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if that is true or just another myth. Pretty much all the other forums I visit have all the little ads on the side - only one at the top which is part of the header - just as ehMac has as well.
If they thought the got more revenue earning clicks by placing the ads at the top, I would think they would have done that as well.
From experience I can say, that at least on my sites, the top ads get a lot more clickthroughs than anywhere else on the pages. If you read through google's docs on the matter they confirm that in general this is the case, especially when people land on your site coming from a google search.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts