Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

161 - 180 of 376 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,759 Posts
Other than maybe Sinc and Screature, I am not sure anyone voted "for" any particular party in the last three or four elections.

More likely they were voting against those parties they liked even less.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Other than maybe Sinc and Screature, I am not sure anyone voted "for" any particular party in the last three or four elections.

More likely they were voting against those parties they liked even less.
You're probably right, but this is all the more reason to regret having cast a vote for the Conservatives. I wonder how long Canadians will continue to accept our ridiculous and antiquated voting system and the broken governments it yields before accepting the disruption and risk of implementing a more modern system like the Australians use.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
You're probably right, but this is all the more reason to regret having cast a vote for the Conservatives. I wonder how long Canadians will continue to accept our ridiculous and antiquated voting system and the broken governments it yields before accepting the disruption and risk of implementing a more modern system like the Australians use.
I don't regret voting Conservative despite some policies I don't like. I don't find FPTP either ridiculous or antiquated and prefer it to the "modern" system of Australia.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I voted conservative and I'm not having 'buyer's remorse', (because I think the Liberals and the NDP would have bankrupted the country), but I am looking sideways at them and saying "Really?".

·
peek-a-boo
16,510 Posts
I voted conservative and I'm not having 'buyer's remorse', (because I think the Liberals and the NDP would have bankrupted the country), but I am looking sideways at them and saying "Really?".
In terms of bankrupting the country, compared to the liberal's record after 3 terms, I'd say the conservatives have proven themselves to be the biggest spenders by far. Though to be fair, I don't think many of the people I knew who voted for the conservatives believed they would do that.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
Each successive government spends more than the last, ergo the Conservatives are the biggest spenders in history. It's a meaningless claim.

·
Premium Member
30,870 Posts
ergo the Conservatives are the biggest spenders in history. It's a meaningless claim.
Not in the least meaningless and once more a knee jerk defense of Herr Harper and his profligacy.

HE made the choices to spend more - no one else.

Martin on the other hand.

After the Liberals formed the government, Martin was chosen as Minister of Finance by Prime Minister Chrétien, and appointed by Governor General Ray Hnatyshyn. At the time, Canada had one of the highest annual deficits of the G7 countries. Standard & Poor's had lowered its rating on Canada's foreign-denominated government debt from AAA to AA-plus in 1992 and in 1994, Moody's lowered its rating on Canada's foreign currency debt from Aaa to Aa1, partly due to Canada's growing public debt.[4] In his debut as finance minister, Martin made huge budget cuts that almost ground economic growth to a halt, scaling down government to 1951 levels. I
So you are way wrong about every gov spends more.

Now Harper after his spending spree gets to dismantle his pet peeves like CBC and Science and Environment in pursuit of a brain dead right wing agenda that 60% of Canadians don't want or like.
One thing they don't like is expensive war toys to toady to the US military/industrial oligarchy....or subsidies to fat cat fossil fuel companies.

Bringing in more projects like the naval construction bids makes lots of sense as do initiatives like rapid transit and national high speed which is woefully behind schedule.

Neither a boatload of over priced ill suited F35s nor conservative appointed senators with rich pensions makes any sense at all.

Of course most Canadian's understood that - our flawed democracy allowed it - nothing else.
Harper may indeed yet out politic Chretien..and that's saying something about sleaze
......and not to the benefit of the public weal.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
Not in the least meaningless and once more a knee jerk defense of Herr Harper and his profligacy.

HE made the choices to spend more - no one else.

Martin on the other hand.

So you are way wrong about every gov spends more.
Federal government spending in 1951 totaled $3.69 billion:

Alternative format - CSV document

It was $161 billion in 1994.

Nice try.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Well the aviation design and construction industry was systematically whittled down and killed here in Canada by a certain conservative government back in the 50's-60's..

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
And a loaf of bread was 12 cents in 1951.
Ever heard of the Bank of Canada inflation calculator? Handy tool.

Inflation Calculator - Bank of Canada

I figured most people could ballpark something like this, but $3.69 billion becomes $33.63 billion with inflation only calculated. Less than 10 times higher. Spending under Martin was close to 50 times higher. Multiply the number by 2.5 to adjust for population and we're still at about a third of Martin's spending.

MacDoc's bogus numbers were taken directly from Wikipedia without checking.

161 - 180 of 376 Posts