Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

81 - 100 of 376 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Japan defence chief 'may cancel' F-35 deal

Japan's defence chief said Wednesday the country may cancel its $4.7 billion order for the US-built F-35 stealth jet if Washington fails to stick to the proposed price and deadlines.

Defence Minister Naoki Tanaka said a formal contract for the initial four units which Japan wants by March 2017, out of a total of 42 jets, was expected to be signed before this summer.
With a price tag of around $113 million per jet, the F-35 is the most expensive weapons programme in Pentagon history and has been plagued by cost overruns and technical delays.
(Yahoo News)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,367 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
From the article linked above:

it’s not unknown for capability standards, also known as “Key Performance Parameters,” to shift during a weapon’s development. But the shifts usually reflect the evolving needs of the military or some change in the operational environment, such as a likely enemy tweaking its own defense plans. In this case, the JROC gave the F-35 a pass that was apparently designed so the over-weight, over-budget, long-delayed stealth fighter could avoid yet another embarrassing scandal.

Citing earlier efforts to boost the Joint Strike Fighter’s image, defense analyst Winslow Wheeler accused the Pentagon of “putting lipstick on the pig.”
Continuing down the F-35 path appears to be a huge mistake...

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Miracle of miracles - there may well be hope yet....

"Realistic" Fantino raises possibility of abandoning F-35 jet purchase

The point man on the F-35 stealth fighter purchase says the Conservative government has not ruled out abandoning the troubled project.

“We have not, as yet, discounted the possibility, of course, of backing out of any of the program,” Associate Defence Minister Julian Fantino told a Commons committee Tuesday.
“And we'll just have to think it through as time goes on.”

His comments represent a further departure from the strident defence the Harper government has offered for the costly, long-delayed program.
(Globe & Mail)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I didn't specify whether the money has gone out the door, or whether the government has announced IT WOULD spend the money. I'm not sure why you need to make this distinction sinc.

Perhaps the only explanation is that you find it incredulous that they would spend it.

Unless we'll be surprised that the cons suddenly say, no, we won't buy any fighter jets like we said we would, and we're going to trash the big crime bill we just passed so it won't cost us a lot of money as a result.

Do you know if that's going to happen? I haven't heard anything of the sort.
You have now Groove. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Fantino later commented that the government was "committed" to the program, so take his earlier quote with a grain of salt.

While it's nice to hope that the conservatives can act reasonably, they have certainly exhibited that they have no problem chucking reason out the window. Until they outright say we won't be buying the f-35 it's safe to assume we are.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It would be nice if they scrapped the purchase and had a competition, but it's unlikely.

Fantino's comments were more likely to pressure Lockheed....

Sadly they will probably end up buying fewer aircraft and the eventual realized price :(

·
peek-a-boo
16,608 Posts
You have now Groove. ;)
yes. But only after totally lying their faces off to the Canadian people.

They said there was a contract that protected us from further cost increases.

So my comments were based on their insistence of this contract.

Now it turns out, they were lying. There was, no contract.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know a few will be predictably distracted by this being Bob Rae speaking, but forward to the video montage of the conservative snow job, and resulting furious back pedalling...

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Pentagon: Trillion-Dollar Jet on Brink of Budgetary Disaster

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the supposed backbone of the Pentagon’s future air arsenal, could need additional years of work and billions of dollars in unplanned fixes, the Air Force and the Government Accountability Office revealed on Tuesday. Congressional testimony by Air Force and Navy leaders, plus a new report by the GAO, heaped bad news on a program that was already almost a decade late, hundreds of billions of dollars over its original budget and vexed by mismanagement, safety woes and rigged test results.

At an estimated $1 trillion to develop, purchase and support through 2050, the Lockheed Martin-built F-35 was already the most expensive conventional weapons program ever even before Tuesday’s bulletins.
(Wired)

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Despite the Barf Limburger/Lion O'Reilly attempts to blame BO, this mess certainly started growing under the Shrub. BOs failure to squash it, is merely another indicator that he really is Bush III.

Having said all that; the Pentagon (Br)ass are the real culprits. They were very likely in cahoots with the corporate slugs over at Martin (I believe it's Martin but would have to check back to be sure).

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
Despite the Barf Limburger/Lion O'Reilly attempts to blame BO, this mess certainly started growing under the Shrub. BOs failure to squash it, is merely another indicator that he really is Bush III.

Having said all that; the Pentagon (Br)ass are the real culprits. They were very likely in cahoots with the corporate slugs over at Martin (I believe it's Martin but would have to check back to be sure).
It was just a joke on my part. I suppose some of his supporters hoped he would kill it, but I haven't heard anyone blame BO for the F-35.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
F-35s don't meet military's requirements, documents show

The federal government didn't follow normal procurement procedures to buy the F-35 fighter jets and the plane fails to meet at least one critical feature the government stipulated must be met, documents viewed by CBC News suggest.
One of the 28 mandatory requirements listed is for the plane's sensor requirements. The document says the plane must be capable of providing the pilot with 360-degree, out-of-cockpit visual situational awareness in a no-light environment.

"According to the U.S. Department of Defence there are so many problems with this feature that they're actually designing a backup. In other words, the plane can't do it,"
(CBC)

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
F-35 program to get overhaul following AG report

Canada will re-examine the F-35 jet fighter program following the release of an auditor general's report tomorrow that slams the Defence Department regarding its compliance with procurement policies.

CBC News has learned that Auditor General Michael Ferguson will focus his criticism on the air force and on procurement officials inside the Defence Department.

The government is expected to strip the Defence Department of its responsibility for the program and set up a special secretariat of deputy ministers inside the Public Works Department to manage the program.

Sources say the government believes it was misled by military officials and will promise to be more transparent about the fighter jet purchase from Lockheed Martin.
(CBC)

·
peek-a-boo
16,608 Posts
what, Harper and co doesn't support our military? They wanna kill aerospace jobs? whaaaaa?
;)

Gee it's a wonder cons are suddenly silent about that "contract" we supposedly had.

81 - 100 of 376 Posts