Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come across a decent DivX encoder for mac, that actually:
1) calculates correct bitrates for a given filesize?
2) encodes without skipping frames of video?
3) keeps the audio in-sync?
4) works (without such programs as DivX Doctor) with QuickTime?

Or is there a way of importing video from a DVD right into QuickTime format?

·
Registered
175 Posts
As far as I was aware there are no DivX encoders for the mac.

It should be possible however to encode into mpeg4 or some other QuickTime format somehow. Although I do not know how, you would probably need QuickTime Pro to accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There are no DivX encoders for the Mac currently, but the www.DivX.com site was stating they are working on them...

Mind you, this was almost a year ago and I personally gave up on DivX a long time back out of disgust for how poorly they performed. (Despite what they claimed, they were NOT up to par with the PC versions. None of the 3 codec makers had ones that were doing what they claimed)

For the most part, despite the DivX software, most AVI files still couldn't be viewed.

Personally, if you are on the Mac, Avoid DivX like the plague it really is.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
QUOTE:
"Or is there a way of importing video from a DVD right into QuickTime format?"

If you are using your own DVD's that you have created you could import via iMovie or something similer by plugging your DVD player into your mac via converter (Or digital camera if it has pass through), if you are trying to rip Feature DVD's (IE Star Wars) no, there is not (Well, there is, but I won't tell you how to do it).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have an adapter to connect my DVD player right to my mac. Instead, I have a combo drive, so I really don't think I want to use an external drive when I could use the one in my machine already. I have some sort of program that allows me to decrypt the DVD, but I can't get it to play in QuickTime player.

I would like it to be as simple as a quick import/export type deal, but apparently it's not.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clockwork:
I have divx video 5.0 Alpha 3 in OSX 10.2. I can not get the sound to work though. Anyone know how to get the sound working?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DivX alpha should have come with a little app called Divx Validator, which it installs in a folder called "DivX™ Video 5.0 Alpha 3" in your applications folder. Run your DivX movies through this once to re-sync the audio. Note that this wont work if the audio is encoded using WMA instead of MP3.

--PB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.