2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I just read here.. Does this even make any sense?? :confused:

There's a pic of it ici.

H!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wonder what 'fat cat' executive thought up this one.

I hope someone invents a crack for these cameras and keeps them.

$11 for a '$250 quality' cam , heheh

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
A disposable camera thought up by a disposable mind. In a "throw away" society, this might make sense, but we have to think beyond such forms of consumption, at least in my humble opinion.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I suppose this was almost fated. And no, it doesn't make any sense - at least not for discerning folk, like a lot of things these days.

You pay money for this camera, bring it in to have the pictures downloaded onto a CD. Then the pictures get purged from the camera, and the camera is sold again. This means,

1) The purveyors of this fine photographic equipment could stand to make a lot of money,

2) If you're really into it, and take lots and lots of pictures, you may eventually end up buying the same camera again (the next big fad!),

3) Some innocent, somewhere, somewhen, may end up getting a CD full of the previous user's naughty vacation snapshots because the store's teenage technician didn't purge the unit properly (accidentally or on purpose).

I'm sticking with my Kodak EasyShare, which has already paid for itself twice over since I bought it last March.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I seem to remember a long thread on this very subject back in March in the forums of www.photosig.com
There were also some threads on the subject in the newsgroup alt.photo.digital

The conversation came to a head when most of the participants in the thread believed that it wouldn't be feasible, Most had liked the idea and had said they would most likely buy the camera as a collectors item rather than an actual viable alternative to a "real" digital camera.

Personally...I'd like to take it apart.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to take my disposables apart all the time. Took the batts for my various AA dependent items around the house (remotes etc..). I used to go thru quite a few of those for work (did alot of promos). But the disposable digi? My thing is that it makes you wonder how much technology really cost:

. if I can get a 2 MP disposable digi for $11USD, but they can sell me a a new one for $300?

. Someone has to be able to hack it - you have to transfer the photo somewhere/at some point. But then, will it require you break the digi open (like the current disposables)??

. Batt life? Mem size? Enough to take 24/36 shots??

I would buy 2-3 units. One to keep and the rest to break apart. I need to see how this thing works!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts