Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G4/466 with an ATI Rage 128Pro 16 MB, I'm looking to upgrade the video card, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions??

I also am thinking of upgrading from OS 9.1 to OSX but am not sure if this machine would be slower or faster, or if I could run both OS' on it... I have a 40 Gig HD and a 60 Gig HD partitioned into two 30's, I've upgraded the RAM to 768 MB, so I know the G4 can handle it, just not sure if it is worth it. :mad:

Thanks for all the help!!

Dan :D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey, go buy a cheap ATI 8500 for a PC and flash it to use on a Mac..WOW do games and open GL look wicked...but flashing isn't for everyone! cheers Mark

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Thankfully the 466 MHz G4's have a 4X-AGP video slot. Pop a Radeon 8500 or 9000 in there, and you're all set to go with Quartz Extreme and blazing fast 3D game action. :cool: Mac OS X 10.2 will run well on there - it runs more than well on my iMac DV 400 with less RAM and VRAM. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
what's the fastest video card that will go into my G4 400?

will all mac agp cards fit and work in my mac?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
what's the fastest video card that will go into my G4 400?

will all mac agp cards fit and work in my mac?
If your G4/400 is a "Sawtooth," or AGP-based, all AGP video cards will work - with an exception. Video cards with a Apple ADC (Apple Display Connector) port will NOT work with your G4/400 because your power supply is not sufficient - the video card itself will work, but you cannot use the ADC connector. You can, however, use the VGA/DVI connectors on the card. Video cards designed to use a 4X-AGP slot (AGP G4/400's have a 2X-AGP slot) will also work in your G4, but not to their fullest ability due to the slower bus of your 2X-AGP slot rather than the much faster 4X-AGP bus. Hope that helped.

Models with the 4X-AGP slot include all G4 466, 533, 667, 733 and above. These models also have the 133 MHz FSB.

Models with the 2X-AGP slot include all "Sawtooth" G4 350, 400, 450 (DP) and 500 (DP)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I also have a G4/466 and I stuck a GeForce 2MX in it shortly after I got serious about OS X. I was motivated to do that because of Quartz Extreme's 32 mb video memory requirement. But I was pleasantly surprised by the benefit to gaming the 2MX gave me as well.

It's a fairly cheap card, nothing special, but a nice compliment for an older AGP Mac.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Oh, I forgot to comment on your OS X query...

GO FOR IT!

I'm running OS X (v10.2.6) on this G4/466, and it runs very well. Keep in mind that the 466 is a good performer, and just a hair slower than a QuickSilver 733 due to the smaller cache in the latter. Plus, you've got a nice amount of RAM too, so don't hesitate. But do upgrade that ATI card.

-Howie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts