Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold 1 of my iMacs to a friend of my wife who has a slightly older iMac. Both would be networked with the Asante wired router hooked into Cogeco high speed cable internet access. Besides installing the iMac 500 CRW, I decided to do diagnotics with Tech Tool pro 3.03 and then do a optimization with Drive 10. Don't know why I chose Drive 10 because her computer only had 9.2.2 but it was about to finish optimizing when the power went out. Boy did I get nervous because on reboot with 9.2.2, I got the famous question mark. Rebooting with Techtool pro3.03 did not detect her hard disk. It asked me if I wanted to format the drive because it was unreadable. What did I do wrong but I had only 2 other diagnostic softwares on CD's available Norton Systemworks (didn't use it) and Applecare's version of TechTool Pro with a lower version number. It came with the iMac. I booted up with it and it found the hard disk then went through its quick routine and it found the hard disk. When I tried to choose the mac hard disk as the startup disk, it said that the OS was not bootable. What do you do, install 9.2.2 from the installer disk? No I repeated the same Applecare tech tool pro and somehow the OS became blessed enough to be able to reboot her system and function normally. I decided to use Drive 10 again to do the complete optimization and did full diagnostic to see if everything was working fine. I did that with 3.03 Tech tool pro. I later left the house feeling very good for being able to bring here system back from the dead. She was able to use all her programs and I was verry happy with the final results
Well a few days later, her system would not boot up again. All she got was a question mark and Applecare's version of tech tool did nothing. I kept saying why didn't I leaver her computer alone? Well I borrowed the latest version of the program that I now consider my lifesaver. It's called Disk Warrior and it has the reputation to bring more drives back from the dead than any other program. http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/comments.html
Every mac owner should have it. It took less than 5 minutes for it to create again the damaged directory which no one else can do like it. It took such a short time because the drive was just optimized. It created the damaged boot track which allowed the hard disk to boot up properly like it has never done as well since it was knew. It does both optimizing the directory as well as the entire hard disk and should one lose the power, the hard disk won't be damaged. If this sounds like a sales pitch for Disk Warrior then it is. It saved my life. It is usually the last resort so thank you Disk Warrior

Ted

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Yup, DiskWarrior is a "Must Have" for Mac users. It saved my bacon too.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
My drive utility of choice.

Although I have Norton, I never use it, except to erase free space on a drive/computer prior to resale. I've since found a freeware utility to do that, so I won't be buying/upgrading Norton again.

Using DW once a month or so, I never need to use another utility and never see any real drive/directory issues.

Back in the days of OS7 HFS Standard, I used Alsoft's DiskExpressII. It was and still is the best drive utility I ever owned. DW with DiskExpress (optimizer) is similar to DE2, except it lacks one feature that isn't compatible with HFS+; the ability to monitor file usage and place most often accessed files near the beginning of the drive (where all drives are fastest).

Alsoft is a small, husband & wife owned company that has been making Mac-only 5-mice utilities for about 15 years. Well worth anyone's support.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.