Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may know, Alsoft's Disk Warrior 3 is now available, at least to people who are not upgrading from an older version. I never owned it before, but I've heard good things about earlier versions. I'm also wary of x.0 versions, as they often have a lot of bugs. Has anyone out there tried version 3 yet?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Haven't tried it yet (probably won't, because version 2.1 works fine on OSX volumes, although it's quite a bit slower than on OS9 volumes).

As for bugs, it's certainly something to watch for but Alsoft has never, as far as I know, released a product that wasn't ready for prime time. In fact, the only really consistent criticism you hear about them is they test too much before releasing a product.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Tried it yesterday on a backup volume. When I booted from that volume I found a noticable lag. I've never used it before, but what I did was have it rebuild the directories. It informed me of 3 or 4 directory errors before it asked me to replace the directories. It boots fine but then runs slow. Anyway erased and recloned my system.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The speed issue probably won't be solved completely; a good illustration as to why is to compare the number of files on a (UNIX-type) OSX volume to an OS9 volume.

Typically, OSX (and all UNIX's) has hundreds of thousands of separate files, and therefore a similar number of directory links, versus 20 or 40 thousand in a fairly full OS9 and earlier volume.

The real value of the v3 version is it's OSX native boot support, which will be a mandatory feature with any newer Mac hardware. I'm sticking with v2.1 for a while, until I really need that functionality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts