Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of you might be interested in the following reply I received from Alsoft yesterday regarding the release of a Panther compatible version:

Hello:

Thank you for your recent online upgrade request for DiskWarrior version 3.0.

Our programmers are currently working on an update to DiskWarrior 3.0 for Panther and to boot the new Apple hardware. We hope to have the update available in approximately 2 to 4 weeks. Once the update has been
released, an order form will be available on our web site for DiskWarrior customers. If you have any further questions, please call our sales 800 number below between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm Central time, Monday through Friday.

Best wishes,

Customer Service

Alsoft, Inc. Sales: 800-257-6381
PO Box 927 Voice: 281-353-4090
Spring, Texas 77383 Fax: 281-353-9868
USA http://www.alsoft.com

Customer Service / Sales Hours: 8:30-5:30 Central (M-F)

Alsoft, Inc. - A Macintosh Only Developer bringing you the best software for the best platform.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The current version of DW is already "Panther compatible", but won't boot on new (G5) hardware. Any earlier hardware can still boot from DW and run successfully. Even older, upgraded Powermacs set up with OS 9 boot volumes can run DW from the CD in OS 9 and perform successful directory repairs on OS X volumes.

For the most part, it's only G5 owners that have a little wait for a new version of DW.

Cheers!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's odd.

Then why can't I boot my 1 Ghz, G4 12.1" Powerbook from Disk Warrior 3.0 since installing Panther?

And further, why did Alsoft agree I couldn't and reply to my question as to why I could not boot my G4??

Perhaps you should enlighten Alsoft??

Cheers

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I share space with a prominent Apple reseller and witness him using DW on all but the latest hardware on a daily basis. Just this past weekend, I ran DW on all 3 of my "Pantherized" Macs without a problem. Yesterday, 2 business acquaintances both ran DW on their Panther Macs.

I cannot provide an answer why you aren't able to boot from the DW disk (this issue may be unique), but would respond that Alsoft is simply covering their turf in an effort to minimize bad press/customer relations until such time DW is fully supported on all current hardware. I would also suggest the "upgrade to Panther" mentioned in Alsoft's response is for users who would prefer to install the application; hence the difference between "upgrade to DW 3.0 for Panther" and "boot the new hardware" within their response.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my problem is unique then Mississauga.

I just tried it again and all I get is a message on the screen that "this version of DW is not compatible with your current operating system". This happens after it tries to boot for about three or four full minutes. It is DW 3.0 that I purchased new in October.

It is a mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is maybe I got and older version CD in a new package by mistake???

The label on the CD is correct.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I should mention I haven't yet updated my MDD 867 to Panther 10.3.2; still at 10.3.1. I'll double check with my reseller friend and confirm the compatibilty of DW with the latest OS X update.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Just to clarify; when you attempt to boot from the DW CD, you ARE holding down the "C" key during the boot process until the timer beneath the initial Apple logo start up screen begins spinning?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Sinc,

If at all possible, can you borrow a DW disk from someone and try it? I can't imagine your disk is bad, but at least the idea could be ruled out. This is VERY puzzling. Can you boot from any OS X install CD or OS 9 CD successfully?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mississauga, last night I ran Norton disk doctor on my eMac, then Onyx and macjanitor too. It repaired a ton of permissions. Then I then tried to reboot from the DW CD and lo and behold, it worked.

There must have been something that Norton or one of the other programs changed to allow this, but you were right when you said it should work.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I don't have to spend money on an upgrade.

Merry Christmas

:D

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Whew... excellent news, Sinc! I was beginning to bang my head against a wall trying to determine what would stop the boot process.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what I originally read that prompted the discussion. Does this not mean that the CD only runs part of the DW program and not the entire functions under Panther until the new upgrade is available?

Now I am really confused.

:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.