Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer to back up and reformat my drive every week

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if people believe in disk utilities, and if so...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Aha! The old poll wording trick. I use and swear by DiskWarrior/Disk Express, but no option in the poll lets me say so.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It is a beta, but you can d/l it at no cost. Check out this link for details. Hot tip: check out the "feedback" tab to help decide if you are willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Gord

I had OS X in mind. My bad.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use the power of my mind to fix all my Mac problems.

Both of them.

:cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well JF,

I was thinking that 7 or 8 might be the answers you were lookin' 4

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Britnell,

Neither 7 nor 8 apply, though. I've been running on the same Mac OS X install for, oh, eight months now with nary a problem or disk utility in sight :D

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
A beta disk utility... Now THERE'S a way to totally screw up your system!!!!!!
My sentiments precisely.

I've never install a disk repair app...and never have needed to. If I did, however, I wouldn't chance it with an unfinished buggy version of something that has the ability to wipe your HD clean in seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have a whole pile I use: Cocktail, Macjanitor, Maintain, Moo, Mox Optimize 2.0.2, spring cleaning 3.5.1 and drive 10. I am not sure if any of them make significant improvements but I still use them time to time.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... Sorry Gord
I had OS X in mind. My bad. ..."

Hey, it's your poll, write it anyway you want. It's not like you're Decima Research and writing the poll so that the results are predetermined.

Your poll was written in such a way that there was no option for me (the right way). All that means is there was no second- or third-best answer available to put me in a camp I don't really belong to. A Good Thing.

As far as DW and OSX goes, as long as my machine boots OS9 it's a non-issue to me (and it will be quite a while before my QuickSilver gets replaced). Run the utility from the bootable CD; it works on OSX volumes just fine. For those with OSX-only machines, DW for OSX is probably about a month away from release.

Norton is allright, although they have put out a few flaky versions in the past. Similar story with Drive10; it was released a bit early but apparently now is OK (from what I've heard).

I like DW because it has fixed problems the others could not, it's oh-so-simple to use, and Alsoft has never released a product that was not rock-solid. DiskWarrior (OS8.1) is at version 2.1; PlusOptimizer is at version 1.3. Think about that for a moment ... they run on hardware as old as 68020 (DW)/68040 (PO)/System 7 yet don't break if you run the latest hardware/software. To me, that's good engineering.

I have never had either of them break anything (or even heard of it happening to anybody), something I can't say for Norton or Drive10.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts