Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Hopefully this community can help me out, as it has numerous times in the past, as I have looked all over the internet and have not found anything close to the question I am about to ask. Is there a way, via a 3rd party program or somewhere in OS X, where I can setup the machine to disconnect my dial-up Sympatico account (using the 56k modem) at a specific hour of the day? Here is the low down. Right now, I am using my Pismo, obviously via Sympatico dial-up, on the 'fax line' and I want the ability to leave my Mac on overnight so I can download my e-mail, iTunes music and whatever else I need, but I need to disconnect from the line I am using, the fax line, by 7:30am every day so that faxes which start coming in at 7:45am will not recieve a busy tone from me leaving my Pismo on overnight.

Any help finding a way to do this would be MUCH appreciated, as with my 28.8kpbs connection that I get up in the Highlands of Haliburton, downloading a 5mb file from iTunes can take an hour in its self.

Thank you!

G

·
One way you might be able to do this in a round about sort of way is to set the energy saver preference panel to tell your computer to shut down each day at 7:29 am (can be done pressing the schedule button at bottom right) on preference panel.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Found something simple here:
Need Applescript to change network location [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums

Create an applescript with the following:

do shell script "scselect xxx"
end

Where xxx is the name of a network location you have created that doesn't have the modem listed (thus causing it to not be available by applications that may try to use it).
... and then save it as a standalone script wherever you wish.

Create a repeating event in iCal and have its notification set to run the script you have created. Therefore (for example):

- 7:30am iCal's alarm goes off running the script
- the script changed your network location to disable the modem.

In order to get your modem back just go to the Apple Menu > Location and choose your normal location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.