Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with the Disc Bumer.
I want to use it the same way I would use a floppy or zip disk, but can't figure it out.
I have CD-RW so how do I do this do I need some other kind of software or will the Disc Burner Software do it . Can someone explain this to me, I am so confused...Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy:
I need help with the Disc Bumer.
I want to use it the same way I would use a floppy or zip disk, but can't figure it out.
I have CD-RW so how do I do this do I need some other kind of software or will the Disc Burner Software do it . Can someone explain this to me, I am so confused...Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be wrong, but I don't think disc burner lets you use it like a floppy. Better look to third party software for that. I don't know if Toast allows that or not. Anyone else?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayesk:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy:
[qb]I need help with the Disc Bumer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be wrong, but I don't think disc burner lets you use it like a floppy. Better look to third party software for that. I don't know if Toast allows that or not. Anyone else?[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think by what she says "Can I use it like a floppy or zip disk" in the way that it can hold data.

To store data on a CD-R/CD-RW disk, you just need the burner software. You cannot remove contents of a CD-R disk after it has been burned, nor can you re-burn it. Only CD-RW disks allow that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what Thrid Party Burning Software to use in order to burn CD-RW discs and use them the same a floppys (Is there anything I can download for free off the net)
THANKS

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use Roxio's Toast Lite, it came with the burner and I was able to update it. You might want to check Roxio Homepage to see if its available to download.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Unfortunatly, you can't use a CD-RW like a floppy.
A floppy you could copy files to and change them on the fly.
A CD-RW means that you can reburn the CD, but they have a limited life (I think its maybe 100 burns, or some number that isn't all that high)
Because of the nature of CD-RWs you won't be able to use it like a floppy.
A CD-RW works like a CD-R in that you burn whatever you want onto the CD, and you can read it but if you want to save it, it burns the entire CD again, replacing the old stuff. This takes more time and with the rewriting you wear out the disc.

Sorry Nancy, but its not possible... you may want to invest into the new Zip drive if thats what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The limit is usually 1000 burns on a CD-Rw Disc actually, and to some degree you can use them similar to a floppy, but not quite so on the fly.

When you put a CD-RW in, burn some info to it using Toast, you get the option to close the disc or leave it open for more burning. To take a file off I believe you have to erase the entire disc, but I am not sure as I never use CD-RW media, only CD-R.
I do know that Disc Burner can burn to a CD-RW, and to erase it you have to use Disk Utility, which is wierd, unless they have changed it.

I'd recommend getting Toast Titanium 5 in any event, as it has far more control over burning than Disc Burner or Toast Lite ever will.

--PB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts