Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. So much that it broke one of the plastic tabs on the battery (see screw in middle of screen).

Once I took it out of the laptop and placed it in a ziplock, the damn thing kept expanding...

Left it in my office all weekend - I wonder what I'll arrive to find today!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had a similar experience recently with my wife's old 2006 MacBook.
I had to clean out my office at home to make way for babies in the not to distant future... put everything in Rubbermaid Totes and down to the corner of the basement where my office now resides. A week later I open up a tote to take out the laptop and it's bulged so bad I thought it was going to explode in my face.
The 2006 models had the replaceable battery with the turn key lock on the bottom to release the battery... it was a fight to get it to turn, and when it finally did the battery actually bounced up a bit.

Thankfully Lowes has battery recycling.... 20 minutes later that's where it was.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! Is any of the rest of the laptop damaged?
I was very surprised to see the bottom case revert back to it's regular form (there was quite a bulge). The trackpad was pushed out through the top quite a bit on one side - about 1cm high. It moved back into place, and a little nudge got it all the way in. Haven't been able to test it yet to see if the TP is undamaged.

We ordered a new battery from a local supplier for about $65 CDN (new regulations prohibit shipping lithium ion batteries by air or even ground for some suppliers... iFixit, for example, has a disclaimer on their site regarding batteries only being shipped to domestic USA).

Once the new battery is in, I'll test it out... quite a thing to behold, though.

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2006 models had the replaceable battery with the turn key lock on the bottom to release the battery... it was a fight to get it to turn, and when it finally did the battery actually bounced up a bit.
I remember the turn-key lock! One of the things I miss in my mid-2014 Retina MBP are the light indicators of battery charge. You'd think Apple would have found a way to include such a useful feature... :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The batteries swell when the "Service Battery" warning is ignored for over a year. Heh.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I remember the turn-key lock! One of the things I miss in my mid-2014 Retina MBP are the light indicators of battery charge. You'd think Apple would have found a way to include such a useful feature... :(
I really liked that feature on my old white Macbook. One turn of the screw (with a quarter!) and the battery came out, with full access to the RAM and the HD. They really should be designing the iMacs that way for RAM and HD access.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts