Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying very hard to find a digital voice recorder that will be compatible with my mac... of course.

I cannot seem to find anything that includes the software necessary to convert the recorded file into MP3 format on my Mac.

does anyone have any idea about a product that does this?????????

I know the iPod is rumoured to soon be able to do this but I need it now or at least soon, I am 3 months into a 6 month language course and I still have not found anything.

Parousia

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I can help you out with this. Last year, I had the same problem: I wanted to keep voice recordings of interviews that I do for articles and features, as well as for seminars that I teach.

For the money, you can't beat Creative's Nomad IIc MP3 player. It comes with either a 64 meg or 128 meg card (I opted for the 128 meg model since I sometimes conduct full-day seminars) and it's priced under $200.

I am also pleased (relieved, really) to report that it continues to be compatible with iTunes4. Just plug-in the USB cable, start iTunes, and you'll see a little icon called "Nomad" just below the library folder. Drag and drop your files and you're done. Since most or all MP3 players encode voice files with proprietary file formats, you can convert your Nomad files to MP3 within iTunes. But this isn't necessary if all you want to do is play your files within iTunes--only if you want to copy them to an iPod.

Here's a link for more info.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
what about possibly using a MiniDisk?? I love the units as you can record so much more with them. If you only want to use the item for Voice Recs, then I guess you can grab that other unit, esp if you can have a nice direct USB connection happening. But if you do not mind dumping in the sound, MDs are pretty nice. There are some MP3 encoders out there - pretty sure. Anyhow, my input.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I tried using one of these for a couple of days and sent it back. There were too many limitations, not to mention one of the goofiest digital right management schemes I have ever seen.

One caveat: unlike earlier, simpler Mac-friendly models, I was using one of the newer NetMD models, which by design are not Mac compatible (as far as I could tell, the documentation and web site were mute on this point). So I had to use my old PC (shudder) to work the thing. This involved having to install a special Sony application so I could gain access to my files. Want to copy some MP3s onto it directly? No way. All files have to be managed and ripped via Sony's software contraption. How about if you want to delete some music and audio files from the disc where you're on the road? Sure, if it's an audio file, but the music files have to be managed by Sony thingamajig.

Let me tell you, I swore at this thing with words that would make an angry New York cabbie blush.

And here's the kicker. When I brought it back, buddy behind the counter says "Well, there's another one for the pile." Apparently Sony has so badly fibutzed this product, people are returning them in droves.

As for the Nomad? Press play to record.

Me, I blame the intellectual property lawyers at Sony for this mess. Leave it to them to kill a good idea with rigid thinking.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Pgant - agreed.They messed the NetMD iniative, and made it a disaster.You Basically are better off just analog'ing the sound right in. There are actually some 3rd party d/a converters. Minidisc.org has much of the info you might need.

Sony had to create something that was going to make an attempt and 'managing' the MP3 ripping etc.... they failed. They somehow thought that they could get buyers to follow along with this NetMD app they have -which is fresh in paper - in practice, is far TOO restrivtive.

The stand alone MD unit is still awesome. But the NetMD is not what I would ever want. Look for a more stripped down one. They're all over.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have a Sony ICD-BP150 digital voice recorder and I LOVE IT!!! It can hold up to 5-hours of audio, which can be saved into a variety of different on-board file folders. Very handy. It connects via USB to transfer the audio.

Simple to use and very good quality. However, I use it at work on a PC...so I do not know if it would show up in iTunes the way PG described something earlier.

It retails for $250.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Postscript to my note about the Nomad. According to a email I received this morning, Compusmart has cut the cost of these in half...to around $110. Sweet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts