Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So...I went and bought a digital camcorder. It is a Panasonic Palmtop. The link shows the specs.

I was under the impression that this thing would be easy to connect to my Mac...but I am experiencing problems. First...it comes with a USB cable and not a FireWire cable...even though the specs seem to indicate that the camera is capable of FireWire transfers.

I couldn't get iMovie to recognize the fact that the camera was connected to the Mac. Then I tried using Virtual PC...to see if I could transfer the video...and then move the file into my Mac environment. No dice.

How the heck can I get the darn thing to transfer? Can I simply go and buy a FireWire cable and have it work that way...or am I basically screwed? Your help is GREATLY appreciated.
:(

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
OK, the specs do say - i.LINK™ (IEEE 1394 PC
  Interface)
and that means Firewire.

No firewire cable included?

You may just need to purchase a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable. The USB will not do.

4pin end into the Camcorder, 6pin to the Mac.

But lets look at the Apple Supported Camcorders Website.
http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peripherals/camcorders.html

Here they mention the 400 but not specifically 402.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Here they mention the 400 but not specifically 402. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no "400" in their line...there is only a 402 (on both the US and Canadian website). I guess I will see if I can get a Firewire cable tomorrow.

With a FireWire attached...should my Mac immediately recognize the camera?

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Bjornbro is right, you will need to have a power supply when doing your capture (It's better than wasting your battery)

When you connect the camera via FW, iMovie should recognize it immediatly and you can begin capture!

·
Registered
77 Posts
With my Canon DV CAM as soon as I connect the camera with IMOVIE fired up it tells me I have a camera connected.

I would assume if your camera is on the supported list it should do the same.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
Here are the basic steps:
Power up the camcorder and connect it to your Mac before launching iMovie. During the launch phase, iMove queries the camera to see what it is and who makes it, etc.
Run the camcorder from AC (preferred) or the internal battery.
Try a different firewire cable (yes, they do make duds).

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know how to connect it...my issue (I think) is that there is only a USB cable that comes with the camera and there is no way for iMovie to recognize the USB connection.

The camera is only recognized (on my desktop) if I have it set to "memory cared," which then mounts on the desktop.

So, I will see if I track down a FireWire cable...and then see if that works.

Any other suggestions are always welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
iMovie is not going to recognise any USB connected video device. You will have to use the SW tools that came with your camera (because they will create .dv files, that iMovie or any other video app can import) or go firewire.

I can't believe they didn't include a FW cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.