Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I want to buy a DV camera to work with in iMovie and burn on iDVD. What are some suggestions? I have seen the Canon ZR50MC and I like that and also the Elura40MC. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
There are tons out there that work with iMovie. Although I have yet to purchase one myself, I too am looking at one of the Canon models. A complete list of all Cams is what you might want to look at as well. Canon also have released the new ZR60-65-70. Although I have yet to see them in stores, now might be the time to grab the ZR50. May get a good deal on it. I also like some of the Sony models as well. I've shot with one b4.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
Neema, I have the Canon ZR40 and I am quite pleased with this camera. The key feature of this videocam is that it does NOT have a built in fuction to take digital pictures. Thus, I did not have to pay for a feature that I did not want, in that I have a digital camera for this purpose. Just be sure, whatever make or model you select, not to be drawn in by the claims of "digital zoom". Utilize the "optical zoom" feature, and a good zoom function will be anywhere from 10-20 times optical zoom.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
The Canon ZR series cameras (ZR 40, 45 and 50) are all great as far as video performance is concerned. The built-in photo feature via the smart card has some limitations but it's perfect if you just want some quick pics. Just make sure you buy a second battery. You'll need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I bought the ZR40 for the same reason as G, why on earth would i need to take digital photos if I'm already filming. The quality of the digital pics aren't that hot either and you'd never use it just as a camera.

Zoom is somewhat important but the longer the zoom the shakier the picture gets, you might want a tripod. First thing I did was purchase the big battery. It lasts forever.

I don't regret anything about my purchase, it's a good basic camera without all the bells and whistles that most people don't use anyway because they can add all the effects in iMovie or whatever they're using.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
cscherkus, re the zoom, this is why I suggested a 10-20 times optical zoom. Anything more really then necessitates a tripod, which may be impractical depending upon what sorts of video is being taken (e.g., capturing doxies in hot pursuit of a butterfly for the first time. Please note, no butterfly was harmed in the filming of Daisy and Rootie as puppies playing in wonderment with a butterfly).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! So, is the ZR40 a good quality camera? I want to be able to make DVDs from my camera footage. I know this is a lot to ask... but does anyone have a little movie clip that has been shot with a ZR40 that they could send me so I could see the quality? Thanks!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
Neems, unless you have a large hand, the Canon ZR40 is an ideal camera. There is just enough "bells and whistles" to make it more than an entry level camera, but not enough to make the experience difficult. Sorry, no iMovie clip (I haven't gotten my iMac yet, but don't tell anyone). Thus, I can tell you about the ZR40, but not show you clips. Good luck.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
Neema, the Apple Store was selling the Canon ZR40s as a component of their "digital hub" strategy, so I assume it is compatible with iDVD. I checked out various sites to see what others thought of this videocam, and when it went on sale at Future Shop, I bought it, and have not been displeased. The main concern that some have had with this camera was the ambient level of noise when recording inside in a quite room, but I have not found this to be the case.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dr.G, you've been really helpful! I think I'm going to look around for a Cheap ZR40. If anyone comes across one, let me know! :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
Try the online site for FutureShop. They are always having online sales of these sorts of items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts