Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there using Blacks or some other firm to out-put fine 1mg pictures, and if so what is the quality like? I have a few nice images of the kids that my Epson printer just is not doing it for me. What about price for an 8x10.
Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've used Future Shop for digital printing and have been very very pleased with the results. They have specials going on from time to time.

Okay so here's their web site link:

http://pix.futureshop.ca/en/

They have a promo to get 5 free 4x6 prints.

Here's their regular prices:

4" x 6" print
$0.50

5" x 7" print
$1.50

Sheet of 8 wallets
$4.95

8" x 10" print
$4.95

11" x 14" print
$8.95

4" x 7" print
$0.55

6" x 9" print
$2.50

8" x 12" print
$5.95

12" x 18" print
$11.95

4" x 12" panorama
$0.95

·
Registered
291 Posts
Spencer,
Some one will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that your 1mg digital image may not contain enough information for you to get an 8 x 10 image that doesn't look slightly pixelated. What Epson printer are you using and what is it that the Epson isn't doing for you?

·
Registered
204 Posts
sharkman is right, if your image in indeed 1 MP in resolution, you will not be able to get a good 8x10 print anywhere as it will look pixelated. However, if you were referring to the actual file size then you may be able to. What is the resolution of the pitcure you have?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,
It is a 3.3 megapixal nikon 880.
The file size is 1 meg.
I cannot remember the model of Epson printer I am using as I am at work right now.
I got the printer last Jan. for about 150.00.
I have printed off some real nice 8x10's on my old Epson printer, but since I got my new printer, which I was told, would be comprable in quality to my previous printer, the quality just is not there. :(

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I've used the Kodak/Apple Store service built-in to iPhoto and it was great quality; the colour was right-on, as it should be when printing from digital. A little pricey, though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Spencer, at 3.3 an 8x10 would come out just fine. I suggest you take FS up on the 5 free prints offer and then if you like the quality, then order the 8x10 you want. Like I said, watch out for specials, recently they had a 50% off special for Future Photo and in the past I used an 80% off promo. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
I have been pleased with One Hour MotoPhoto in the GTA and Ottawa areas. You can pick up free software from any of their stores called Picturewire which allows you to send in an order online and have the prints delivered to a store of your choosing

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can pick up free software from any of their stores called Picturewire which allows you to send in an order online and have the prints delivered to a store of your choosing
And it's Mac compitable?!!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
parousia,

Thank you, this is what I've been looking for. I've tried other services like the one from FutureShop, but they are all web browser interfaces. What a drag - you have to go through the "open file" dialog for every picture you want to upload. Has carpal tunnel syndrome written all over it!

Anyhow, Fotowire is awesome! Available for OS 9 and X, it is similar to iPhoto's interface to upload your photos to Apple, but way cheaper (and reasonable shipping rates). Sent some pics off today, really looking forward to seeing how their quality turns out.

·
Registered
523 Posts
SK, note that I'm waaaay over in ON as well! They do mail order - only $2.00! That is pretty reasonable, and depending on your order value you make up that cost in savings on the PST.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I just got back from a 7 day cruise of the Western Carib
and I'll be using MotoPhoto, Try them out here:

MotoPhoto

They also have software that you can either download
or ask for in person on a CD.

Cheers!

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the answers.
Now then, as to how you guys are sending your images. In other words, what format.
How does .jpeg/RGB sound.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just thought I'd report back my experiences with Lens & Shutter and their fotowire service. In a word, excellent.

The slightly longer version: the quality of the photos surpassed my expectations (as good as my 35mm when pics taken at high quality), they arrived in a reasonable amount of time and well packaged, price was great. I'll be sending them more.

Thank you, parousia, for directing me to L&S. You should go see them and collect a commission!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts