Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scary Subject Title? Well its pertinant.

At work, my employers have started testing the idea of using digital cameras to take pictures for estimates, as our estimator's drawings are horrible.

So far the last two days, they have taken pictures, and hand them off to me, where I just take the pictures off the camera, and put them on the computer and print them.

The camera/computer set-up and all that is just fine, but what I'm looking for help with, is how can we print these pictures most cost effectively?

We're thinking a third of a page for each picture, and the pictures are taken at 2 megapixel. So, whats the best way to print these? Quality doesn't need to be professional, just enough to clearly see what is there. At the moment we are printing with a Canon i320.

Would a color laserjet be a better solution? Or will the i320 be the best? (It works just fine, but ink costs might be a little costly).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Colour Laser is a great solution.
It's fast and much lower operating cost than the inkjet.
The quality will be every bit as good.
Big bonus, the laser prints can be handled by people. The ink can smudge.

The only drawback is the cost of a new colour laser printer, if you don't have one. Figure on at least $1000. :eek:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jtmac - I know the initial outlay is a little large, but having worked with laserjets before (B&W specifically), I know they are worth every penny. Any suggestions on brands?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Xerox (which bought Tektronix) has good deals. Good line of printers. Stay away from solid ink printers, though, good output but high maintenance costs. Lexmark is trying very hard to break HP's hold on laser printing. Talk with them and get a demo.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
chealion - I don't own a color laserjet, but if I was going to go out and buy one, I'd think about:

Both HP and Xerox make great color lasers.

Of particular note to Mac users are the rave reviews the entry-level HP 1500 is getting. Fast, low cost, excellent output.

Sorry, I don't have the links, but you should be able to find the reviews at Macaddict and Macworld.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The cheapest way to print digital photos is to take the memory card down to your local london drugs and pick them up in an hour (after factoring in the cost of ink, photo paper and everything else involved).

If you can't spare the time to do that and you want the the best quality and also the best cost per page, check out either the Canon i850 or i950.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posterboy - Taking them to London Drugs wouldn't work, thanks for the suggestion though.

We have a nice little set-up for the camera to computer, I'm just looking for what everyone believes is the best printing option. High quality is not a must, as the i320 is doing more then fine. And it doesn't have to be Mac compatable as the computer hooked up to the printer will inevitably be the Dell here at work (No Macs at work :( ). But that shouldn't be much of a problem as near all printers are compatable with both platforms. Looking for the cheapest way (long term wise) to print about 10-15 1/3 page pictures a day.

·
Registered
470 Posts
chealion - definitely consider the laser for the type of use your business needs.

I didn't notice before, just how many of these you'd be printing a day.

Also, use a better quality laser paper. It makes a big diff in the "handle-ability" of your prints.
Is that a word?

Anyways, at 10 to 15 a day, the laser would pay for itself in no time. Well, maybe a little longer ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts