Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for recomendations on where to get my digital pictures developed.

I havnt developed anything digitally before and i see there are a few options out there, some places like best buy and blacks have online up load and pick up at the store, other places like walmart have the little computers where you do your own thing and then theres places like shoppers drug mart and grocery stores taht do them as well.

So who do you use?
What does it cost per 4x6?
Whats the service speed quality like?

Before you send them do you size and crop them yourself? What settings do you use eg dpi.

Shoe

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have this question too, and would like to add:

which smaller businesses, if possible?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
you nailed them

grocery stores, black's, shoppers, specialty photo stores etc... - they all develop.

i personally send mine online to costco.ca - i think it's .19 per. the quality appears great to me...HOWEVER, i was in black's buying a frame and overheard the owner touting how their prints are far better in quality. I haven't printed any there, but i wanted to send the exact same pic to 2 or 3 places and check the quality. I believe black's was something in the .24 - .30 per range, but i may be wrong.

hope that helps.
Cheers,
Keebler

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Costco or Sam's Club...upload from the house, pickup next day...or... Upload in the store using a kiosk, pickup in an hour. Both are cheap, 18-19cents per 4x6, decent quality, very convenient.

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
I'm a sucker for convenience - on the rare occasion that I order prints, I do it from within iPhoto. They start processing the order "within 90 minutes of submission". Pretty darn good.

My one quibble is with delivery - I ordered $85 worth of photos to be delivered on my mom's birthday last month, but they didn't show. I contacted Apple's iPhoto support, and they refunded my order on the spot. Not bad...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Digital Prints

Fellow ehMac Members,

I own two camera shops with digital labs and can help out local ehMac Members.

In general, you will find that Costco, Future Shop, Grocery Stores, Drug Stores etc. offer digital prints at very low prices in an effort to drive traffic to their stores or to help drive home the "value" message. All of these companies provide a digital print service as a lost leader. They don't need to make money in this product category.

Black's is a corporate chain store (there is no owner in the store). Each store is suppose to provide the same level of quality and service (in theory), but a lot of that depends on the staff (which varies tremendously from store to store). Black's charges more because they do strive for better quality AND they have to make a profit from digital prints. Just look at their store locations in prime malls across the country. Their overhead expenses are huge and that has to reflect in the price to consumers. In general, just about any Black's should provide better quality prints than any Big Box Store. The quality controls in place are much more stringent ... and they do care (for the most part).

Independent Photo Specialty Retailers are a mixed bag. Some are extremely professional and others run a whole in the wall operation.

My stores offer three levels of digital print services to our customers. Full Serve (our staff will do all of the color and density adjustments for you), Self Serve (using touch screen kiosks in store), or Online (the consumer does all the work using their own computer at home). All digital prints are done in the same Fuji Frontier Lab but there is quite a difference in quality between the three services.

Full Serve Digital Prints are .49, Self Serve Digital Prints are .39, and Online Digital Prints are .29. The more work you do, the less expensive the prints, the more work you want my staff to do, the more expensive the prints ... it just makes good sense.

I would like to extend an invite to my Fellow ehMac Members & Guests to get Custom Digital Prints for .19 cents each. Your choice of matte or gloss, with or without borders, 4x5, 4x5.3 or 4x6 print size.

Local ehMac members can send me a PM for more information.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since I work in the commercial advertising photography industry and used to work at at a Japan Camera photolab as a printer for 4 years I'm REALLY picky about colour.
I used Blacks before and they weren't anything special.
The place I use in Toronto is called Pikto (they are in the Distillery District) and they provide great service and great colours that match what you see on the screen.
Then again for optimum results you should embed their profile into every image but this takes time that most people don't care to spend or know enough about to deal with.

:: :: :: :: PIKTO :: :: :: ::

Has all their info.

Jorge

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I would like to extend an invite to my Fellow ehMac Members & Guests to get Custom Digital Prints for .19 cents each. Your choice of matte or gloss, with or without borders, 4x5, 4x5.3 or 4x6 print size.
Nice discount - thanks!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Costco, Future Shop, Grocery Stores, Drug Stores etc. offer digital prints at very low prices in an effort to drive traffic to their stores or to help drive home the "value" message. All of these companies provide a digital print service as a lost leader. They don't need to make money in this product category.

My stores offer three levels of digital print services to our customers.

Full Serve Digital Prints are .49, Self Serve Digital Prints are .39, and Online Digital Prints are .29.

I would like to extend an invite to my Fellow ehMac Members & Guests to get Custom Digital Prints for .19 cents each.
So, when the big chains offer prints for 19¢ and 29¢, they are losing money to get you into their store, but you can offer the same prices no problem?

I have no problem with people offering business services, but your post turned me off with your "big corporations don't care/are incompetent/evil marketers" feel.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
So, when the big chains offer prints for 19¢ and 29¢, they are losing money to get you into their store, but you can offer the same prices no problem?

I have no problem with people offering business services, but your post turned me off with your "big corporations don't care/are incompetent/evil marketers" feel.
Wow. Somewhat harsh : there is a difference between offering a price to everyone, and offering it to a select group: ehMac people who are local.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
I used to own and manage photolabs so I am a bit fussy.

You will need to learn to judge for yourself who is good and who is not.

First calibrate your monitor correctly via system preferences and better yet also select a neutral gray desktop. This is very important. It may take a couple of tries but keep going until you are happy.
NOTE: Use the Windows Gamma setting not the Mac setting, this is what the printer will be using.

Then reduce several images to 1200x1800 pixels this is 4x6 inches at 300dpi. The printers will not take advantage of higher resolution so stick with that setting. Now set density and color to your liking. Very last is sharpening filters. Be sure you are viewing at 50% or 100% settings when doing sharpening. Do NOT oversharpen.

Finally take to various photofinishers. Ask them to print with no corrections and no filters.

See who most closely matches your monitor. In Calgary; London Drugs is close, if a bit dark and more expensive. Since they are consistent it is easy to lighten the image a bit from optimum monitor viewing. Walmart was all over the map and ignored the no corrections instruction. In Fernie BC; Extra Foods has done quite well and at very good prices .19 per print. Biggest issue has been getting labs to lay off the sharpening. Be insistent!

If your lab is good one time and bad the next repeat the search.:)

·
Registered
781 Posts

:rolleyes: If that's your reaction when somebody offers the community a nice favour, I'd hate to see you when someone insults the community...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Digital Prints - Lost Leaders

GuyToronto,

I meant no offense to the Big Box stores or to those who patronize them. Big Box do what they have to do in an effort to compete with each other. That usually means higher volume and lower prices which usually ends up sacrificing the quality of products or services.

I don't believe I ever stated that Big Box stores loose money at .19 per print nor did I suggest that I was willing to loose money. I tried to be as honest and upfront about the photo services offered through various outlets including companies like Black's.

My post was meant to answer questions about price and quality and as an offering or service to other ehMac members & guests that all share a common bond on this board.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In Calgary; London Drugs is close, if a bit dark and more expensive. Since they are consistent it is easy to lighten the image a bit from optimum monitor viewing.
I use London Drugs as well. The ordering is very convenient through the web, after I send my order online I call the local store and ask them not to colour correct the images. Within a few hours there's an email telling me they're ready for pick up.

I've been very happy with the results, both the 4x6's and some large enlargements.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
GuyToronto,

I don't believe I ever stated that Big Box stores loose money at .19 per print nor did I suggest that I was willing to loose money. I tried to be as honest and upfront about the photo services offered through various outlets including companies like Black's.

You stated in your original post that the big box stores use cheap prices as a "loss leader" (or "lost leader" as you incorrectly spelled it). The very meaning of that phrase is that the company loses money (not "looses" money) on one service to drive traffic for its other products and services. As someone who owns two stores I'm surprised you neither know how to spell the phrase or use it to correctly convey what you mean.

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
You stated in your original post that the big box stores use cheap prices as a "loss leader" (or "lost leader" as you incorrectly spelled it). The very meaning of that phrase is that the company loses money (not "looses" money) on one service to drive traffic for its other products and services. As someone who owns two stores I'm surprised you neither know how to spell the phrase or use it to correctly convey what you mean.
Y'know, they said it would happen. The anonymity of the internet would eventually erode our ability to interact socially, with the norms of civility becoming ever more rare.

EhMac is less and less a welcoming community to new members.
:(

M

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't think I was being particularly rude. I was just assisting him for the next time he insults large corporations. :D

And last I heard there are only a few companies that are authorized to use ehMac to advertise to the user base. I'm assuming MacMaster is not one of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts