Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been told that i can have the digital camera of my choice for christmas this year. the problem is that i don't know what digital camera would be right for me. that's why i'm asking all you ehmac members to tell me what camera i should get based on what i'm looking for in said camera.

what i'm looking for:

2 megapixels (for price reasons)
extreme ease of use (i'm no photographer, so i need the camera to do all the focusing, etc.)
relatively compact design
iphoto compatability
rechargable battery (not necessary, but wanted)

so far, i've been looking at the nikon coolpix 2000 and the canon powershot s200. are these good choices? is there something better? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sniper wrote:
"so far, i've been looking at the nikon coolpix 2000 and the canon powershot s200. are these good choices? is there something better? any help is greatly appreciated."

I've shot about 2000 pictures with a Canon Powershot S100, and it's a nice, simple, little camera. The image quality is good and the camera is easy to use. My one major complaint with it is that the battery is tiny (in terms of size and capacity). You'll be lucky to get 50 shots out of it if you're banging away with the flash and display on.

I've had bad luck with some of the low-end Nikon digital cameras; they're hard to use and there's an incredible amount of lag between the time you press the shutter release and the time the image is actually taken. Granted, the Nikons I've worked with were at least a year old, so Nikon's latest and greatest may have solved some (or all) of these issues, but I'd still be wary of the Nikons.

If you can, spend some time playing with any of the cameras you're interested in (even if it's just in store). Their most notable weaknesses and strengths should be readily apparent, and you'll have a better basis for comparison than just a checklist of features.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have not used the canon, but all the lower end Nikon digital cameras I have tested have been a bit disapointing. I have not tried out the 2000, but I did try the CoolPix 2500, and it was a pain to use, the shutter is slow, and there were very few menu options.

It is a pity too, because Nikon makes such kickass high end stuff.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Too bad about the Nikons. I did like the now discontinued Nikon coolpix 775 - but the actual size. never really tested it. But in terms of a good digi, although I feel a little over priced, the SONYs have done me well. I have a 3.3 (S70), but I am looking for another for size reasons. Here you'll find the Sony Canada ones. The only other thing that I must add about the sony ones is the cost of mem sticks --> wasn't crazy about'em when I got the camera. They have a whole new set of mid-priced ones with more stripped down features. Having said that much, my cuz has a Canon. Seems to be doing the trick. I've been thinking about one too. They're here for you to look at. S200? That may be the one. The A40 was cool until I found out it took 4AA and still did not last (as per newsgroups).

Good Luck - wish someone was buying me one too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just picked up a Kodak easyshare 4330, and it's a sweet little camera. It unfortunately uses tiny little flash media, so I can't use my SanDisk flash cards in it, and have to go buy more memory.

The nice thing is that it takes little Quicktime movies along with the pictures. Nowhere near DV quality, but great for doing little walkabouts when I don't have my HandyCam...

-SJ.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The s200's a great little camera.
I normally always have my s100 with me - it's a nice compact form and great for general use. The only gripe I have as jfpoole has mentioned is the battery life. I always carry a spare if I know I won't have access to an outlet for the charger.

A wise addition would be a flash media reader. It makes transfering images more efficient aswell as saving a little battery life without having to connect the camera.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the most important things to consider is a rechargeable battery. You do not want to replace consumables after 40 pics. Sony offers good cameras and they are very easy to use with intuitive menus. I have a DSC-S30 and it is great for general use. If you do want to print, I would not recommend it. It has a wicked 2-3 hour battery.

Ron

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hiya Sniper,

In various other parts of this forum I've expressed my immense happiness with my Canon PowerShot A40 (Retail: $399). Very easy to use, nice quality pics (max 1600x1200), quicktime movies with sound. It's only 2.0 megapixels, though... so a newer model might be a good idea.

A few things to consider:

- what storage media (compact flash? mem stick? Can it take an IBM microdrive 1gig?)

- zoom. 3x optical is OK, but more is better.

- digital zoom. Shouldn't even factor into the equation. Turn it off - it's no better than using Photoshop to blow up the pixels.

- batteries: buy some high-power NiMh rechargeables, they'll save you LOTS of money over the long term.

I highly recommend checking out the www.cnet.com review section on digital cameras. You not only get CNet's opinion, but reviews from people who've purchased the camera as well.

There's a new Fuji out that looks promising: the FinePix S602 Zoom. 3.3 megapix, 2832 x 2128 (6M) frames, 6x optical zoom, and accepts multiple kinds of storage media. And on a pure vanity basis, it _looks_ like a camera should! Review at "Steve's DigiCams": http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_s602z.html Retail is $1169

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I have the Canaon Powershot S110 and love it! 2.1 megapixels is fine if you don't plan on printing larger than 8x10. The size of the Canon Elph series combined with the durable, sexy stainlees steel casining, makes these cameras the best choice! Quality output & ease of use will keep you snapping for a long time.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I've looked at a lot of digital cameras lately because several of my friends decided to make the leap to digital and came to me because I am "the camera guy" around here.

We checked out all of the available units. I second the notion re: Canon. These seem to be among the very best available in this price range. Nice metal body, good color resoloution and a Canon lens. What's not to like? :cool:

I also second Cubamark's comments on Nickle Metal Hydride batteries. If you can, try to buy a camera that takes rechargeable NiMh batteries...or will accept generic "AA" NiMh batts in the stock location (mine does). These things are the answer to the much-commented-on ultra short battery life that many digital cameras suffer from.

I also think that some of the latest Fuji cameras are looking quite good. Fuji is supplying a camera to Leica....and that revered German company wouldn't be buying it if it weren't VERY good indeed. They are also using Nikon lens mounts for their top end cameras so that the pros out there (80% of whom use Nikon) can switch easily to digital while retaining their current lenses.

Smart. :cool:

They are also leading edge when it comes to CCD design. I believe that they may end up being the first company to offer a 12 megapixel camera at an affordable price.

That will spell the end for film, fer sure.

I have nine cameras right now...everything from broadcast-quality digital video to pro-quality Nikon 35mm gear....and more lenses than I care to list here (I stopped counting at fifty). Currently I have a cheesy little Sony 1.3 megapixel digital still camera for jpegs (hey...I got it CHEAP) but if I were going shopping for a good digital today I would be checking out both Canon and Fuji.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was just going to add somthing like this too. As I mentioned, I really do like the Sony menus and they seem pretty easy to run. BTW, The P31 and P51 are now noth on sale. I think that I saw the 31 for $399. That's a steal for a SONY - their standards anyhow.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
Hey folks,

I agree with RonW. I picked up a Sony DSC-P31 at the Sony store in Fredericton this summer. I love my little Sony Digi Cam.

Remember, as you are shopping, be sure to ask if it's Mac compatible and if you are going to run OSX in the future, ask about it.

My Sony works great with iPhoto and the quality of the images can be spotted on my homepage here

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. Sniper, if you need help, feel free to contact me via iChat or AIM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
"I agree with RonW. I picked up a Sony DSC-P31 at the Sony store in Fredericton this summer. I love my little Sony Digi Cam."

The only general gripe I've got about Sony digital cameras is the fact that MemorySticks carry quite a premium (a 64MB MemoryStick is ~$90 while a 128MB CompactFlash card is ~$100).

A site worth checking out (that I forogt to mention in my earlier post) is Digital Photography Review. They've got specifications for almost every digital camera in production right now, as well as in-depth reviews for a good cross-section of digital cameras available today.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I agree with the consensus that the Canon cameras offer the best value at the 2MP range. If you are considering an older model (the most likely to be on sale) try and test the shutter lag; any current model should have that fixed these days but a lot of 2001 or so models may not.

Wouldn't hurt to check Apple's iPhoto page re: compatibility on any model you may choose. In my experience, it recognises nearly everthing, but there are exceptions.

A card reader, at about $50 or less, is an excellent investment. Perhaps you could have the gift givers coordinate their purchases; I know it's often a relief to know someone wants or will use a given gift idea. If you want to extend it to another giver, try a second battery, which will be much appreciated.

In my experience iPhoto recognises all card readers; the only exception is some proprietary schemes (eg. .raw images), which you need the camera maker's SW to decode (you can still copy the files to your Mac). Most of the time you won't use this type of image and the feature probably won't be offered on lower res cameras anyway.

I had the opportunity to take 6 Canon USA executives fishing this summer, Canon has some great products out for this season and are really dedicated to digital photography. While they were with us, I kept my Nikon 5000 at home and used the models they brought along. Good images, easy to use (on my Mac; one person had trouble with his Winbox & Canon and had to use my computer to d/l his images; he solved it by upgrading to XP).

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I've been looking at Sony's Cybershots for awhile now.

About a month ago a friend got a 4-megapixel Sony DSCS-85 which has a Zeiss lens. It's about $900. The results were outstanding.

I had been saving for the DSCP71, a $500 to $600, 3-megapixel camera but no Zeiss lens. But my appetite has certainly been whetted for the DSCS-85.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow

thanks for all the help guys.
i really had no idea which digicam i should get before i started this thread. now i know who to blame when it doesn't work, right? :D

i just ordered my canon s200. i got a 128 meg compact flash card and a usb card reader as well. extra battery power would be there too, but my budget dried up. i guess i'll have to buy those myself.

looks like this christmas will be almost as cool as last year's (ipod). my parents always know just what to get . . . online cash. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainstrained:
I've been looking at Sony's Cybershots for awhile now.

About a month ago a friend got a 4-megapixel Sony DSCS-85 which has a Zeiss lens. It's about $900. The results were outstanding.

I had been saving for the DSCP71, a $500 to $600, 3-megapixel camera but no Zeiss lens. But my appetite has certainly been whetted for the DSCS-85.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the 1st gen S85 (S70). Although the pix can be stunning, and I've been quite pleased with them, like
this one, I have to say that their bulky size is just not for me. I don't teel like I can take it with me for some very spontneous shots. That's why I'm thinking of either the P5-7 or a Canon Powershot - maybe the s200 series. Nice and small...

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Nice pic, Ohenri.

Yes, you're right about the DSCS-85 being somewhat larger than other digital cameras.

But for someone like me, used to carrying a 35-mm camera, it's still pretty small. Nevermind the bag with a couple of lenses, flash and film, I can leave at home.

Are there any other things you didn't care for with the Sony? My friend's still very high on his, so probably not an unbiased critic.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts