Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some help here. I went into the Software update and went to update the security software for the OS X.

I then click on the download button and then it ask for the user name and password to allow this to happen. As soon as I start typing, the dialog box disappears. I removed the password and attempted that and it still disappears whether I type or click on the mouse.

Help pls!

Thanks,
Deafmac

·
Registered
347 Posts
I recently had something very similar - any time the OS needed to authenticate me as an admin user, the dialog box would open and immediately close. Also, logging out dropped me straight into the unix command line.

I narrowed it down to one of the quicktime components found in /System/Library/Quicktime - I deleted them all, restarted, and reinstalled Quicktime. Solved the problem.

Take a look at your Console.app and see if /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SecurityAgent.crash.log is indicating kernel errors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks

Hi Theseus, many thanks for your help. It was the exact culprit of my problems.

Again thanks! :D

Deaf Mac

·
Registered
347 Posts
Very strange - I'm interested in tracking this down. Do you have any ElGato TV hardware? It installs a Quicktime extension that I updated to 2.4 about a day before this problem happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts