Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...now what?

I was having strange problems yesterday and today with the Mac freezing and several Kernel Panics which I had never had before.
First I decided it may be a memory problem, so I took all the memory modules out except for one, but that just confused the issue more.
I still got Kernel Panics and with one specific one of the 512 M memory modules the mac wouldn't even start up. Ihave 2 512 and 2 256 modules in an AGP G4 running OS 10.4.10.
Not getting anywhere that way, I decided that perhaps the hard drive was on its way out, so I checked it with the Apple disk utility and it came up clean - no problems found.
At that time the desktop was still coming up - I was just trying to figure out what might cause the freezes and Kernel Panics.
Then, when I had to reboot again, the Apple icon came up, and OS X seemed to start fine, but all I got was a blue screen with a lonely mouse pointer.

I have a second hard drive in that Mac, it had OS X installed on it as well, but I couldn't start from it for some reason.
So I installed OS X on the second drive again (not wanting to touch the first one which was my main one) and started on the second drive fine.

I can see the main drive on the desktop when I start up on the second drive. If I open the main drive, everything looks fine and I can also open the desktop on the main drive that way and all the folders are there. They just don't come up when I start up with the main drive.

One other thing, when I reinstalled OS X from the DVD and when the screen came up where you can select a hard drive for the installation, the main drive icon had a little triangle at the bottom right with an exclamation mark in it.
Another reason I decided not to re-install there.
Obviously the Mac doesn't like something about the main drive.

Any suggestions how to get my desktop back?

· Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After working with the OS installed on the second drive till 4 am with absolutely no problems and thinking about this some more, I decided a "archive and install" was something to try.
Finished doing that on the first main drive about 30 minutes ago - desktop is back and so far so good - no freezes, no kernel panics.

Next I shall try to run te applications that froze yesterday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.