Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new MacBook Pro 16" M1. On my previous Macs, I have an icon of my drive on my desktop. I use it to see the amount of space I have left.
There is no drive icon on my desktop. I have been looking but I have not found a solution. What do I have to do so I can see this icon on the desktop?

Felix

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Find it in Finder preferences.

Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Software

·
Registered
278 Posts
Really?!? No desktop disk icon! What are they thinking!

Many of us like to customise our folder icons aso. This may be part of Apple's make it smaller approach to dumb us down to iPhone size.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I now have my missing icon back. I hate when things don't get set back to my preferences, after a system install.
A wee bit delayed with my reply here, but in case you wanted to customize your drive even further, most Drive manufacturers or suppliers have custom icons of the brand and type of hard drive one uses that one can download and use.

I believe Apple still allows a user to customize their Mac that much...!!! 😇

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
I'm big on NOT having the system hard disk icon on the drive. No need for it, and I have a long list of example of folks who've mucked around with system files, etc., in the past. Setting up a new Mac for someone? That HD icon is gone! (a setting in the Finder Preferences).

It's far easier to check free space on the hard drive by turning on the Status Bar in the Finder->View->View Options->Show Status Bar - then it's at the bottom of every window.

The "Show Path Bar" setting is also very useful, IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts