Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know the age demographics of the denizens of ehMacLand. Some of you have grown up with computers your entire lives........some remember the days of black and white TV.........some...........well you get the point. We all know where everywhere is currently living, but what of our ages? I am willing to admit that I was born in 1948 and am 54. This is not meant to label anyone, just a question stemming from curiosity.

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
35 (born in '67)

1st computer: Apple II+ in High School, around 1983.

1st home computer: Commodore Vic 20.

2nd home computer: Powerbook 160.

M.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I was born the same year Sputnik was. My first computer was a Mac Plus (beige) which I bought in 1992 for $175.00. The next fall I bought a Performa 630 and haven't looked back.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
• Born in '68 (the Summer of Love) St. John's, NL
• Married '98
• Kid on the way, expecting 2/8/03
• Retail business owner, established '95
• First computer purchased was TRS-80 (trash-80)
• Used Macs since 1985 (highschool - autocad, college - QuarkXpress, Illustrator, PhotoShop)
• First Mac purchased was a Mac IIvi
• 5th in line to join ehMac
:D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most interesting demographics. A 37 year spread so far. I fear that I may be the "old man" of the group. Someone told me that I was "over the hill", to which I replied "I can't be over the hill since I have not yet reached the mountain top!"

Bjornbro, you would not recognize St. John's now.
Gorgguide, I was a few days short of my 9th birthday when Sputnik was launched. I still remember going up on the roof of my apartment house in hopes of seeing it go on by.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
This Mayor just turned 30. Used to play with Trash 80's at radio shack. Got a Vic 20 for my birthday. (Was jealous of cousin who had C-64). At one time made fun of Mac Plus that was at The Bay computer section. Have been married for over 10 years with 3 kids. (Oldest is 6 years old) That's my demo ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Mayor, what say thou to my suggestion to a consulate in NYC?

Did you ever receive the pics of Macdoc's award yesterday? I shall send a better picture of the whale bone carving, in that the face was washed out by the flash.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Bjornbro, you would not recognize St. John's now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I wouldn't recognize it at all, as my family moved three months after I was born. I will one day return for sure to trace my roots.

Newfies, unite!! :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Born in 1981.

Computers?

Well, I grew up with the computers my parents had, which in order were:

Texas Instruments TI800, which used cartridges to load programs and such, not unlike an N64 or a SNES.

Then there was a Xerox 286, quickly replced with a 386 as I recall, running DOS. That was traded up for a 486, running DOS 6 and Windows 3. This was back in the early days of Windows, so it wasn;t so much the OS, just a graphical front end for DOS. I prefered the CLI anyway. The only reason to run Windows 3 in my opinion was the game "Captain Comic" :D

While we still had the 386, we also picked up a Mac SE/30. Great little machine. Stunt Copter is still one of my favorite passtimes. My Dad still has the SE/30, and it still runs great.

In the early/Mid 90s we moved to a PowerMac 6100/60 running System 7.5, and a Pentium 2 300 machine running Win95. That PowerMac introduced me to a whole bunch of great stuff. A 33.6Kbps modem among other things! I also first played Escape Velocity on that machine, a game that I paid for when it first came out.
At some point the P2 was upgraded to Win98, an improvement but still behind in my opinion.

Then in 1998 my Dad bought a Beige G3 300, and in 1999 I bought an Tangerine iMac 333, both running OS 8.5 as I recall, then OS 8.6, and I bought OS 9 the day after it came out. My father was reluctant to upgrade to 9 because it broke ATM.

Then I moved out, and least february I upgraded to my current iBook 600 14". My father has also replaced his P2 machine with a Sony Vaio running WinXP.

We even had a brief experience with Linux (My Dad installed Mandrake on our 486 at some point (dont remember when, it didn;t last very long) and a version of UNIX too, but that didn;t last very long either. The version my Dad picked up was pretty old.

And now I sell computers for a (meager) living.

In this environment, I guess I couldn't help but end up the geek that I am.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Born in '85, got first Mac in '91, as my Dad needed it so he bring home work for his preflighting job (Good ol DTP jobs)
Used that until it got stolen then upgraded to a Performa 580, then just recently up to a G4 :D First started troubleshooting Macs for friends and at home when I first got the 580, and ended being the head student troubleshooter way back in Junior High. Macs are nice and easy to fix, windoze machines are a pain in the... well you get the picture...
And just like PosterBoy (deja vu when I read his post), got Escape Velocity and purchased it with my brother for hours upon hours of fun... Still love that game.

Just gotta finish up my last year of high school, then who knows where I'll go?

Dr. G? What's Black and White TV? ;) No, but I like those Old Radio Shows :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bjornbro, three months is enough to get you your NL passport (The Newfoundland Separation Federation is quite active here since This Hour Has 22 Minutes came on the CBC). I was actually born in Manhattan, lived there a week, went to live in Brooklyn, NY for 6 months and then out to Queens, NY to be raised. I lived between the two airports and recall seeing the first jet airliners in the 1950's fly overhead and wondering "Where are the propellers?"

Chealion, I actually recall those last radio shows. They died out in the early 1950's when TV caught on with the public. I guess I was part of the first generation that was placed in front of the TV screen that was no bigger than an original Mac (in a TV that was as big as a VW Beetle). Ah, those were the days...................................

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Born 1958. The first computer I owned was a 1920s vintage Royal typewriter. ;) Given the quality of my handwriting, this was a major improvement for my communications skills in Grade 6.! :D

The first computer I ever used was my high school's Digital PDP 8E, with a whopping 16k of RAM, two teletypes and a mark-sense card reader. We later traded the TTYs for a nifty innovation, a video display terminal! Oooh! :eek:

Unfortunately, I never really followed up on my early computer enthusiasm, although I worked in Audio-Visual all through university. The first Mac I ever owned is a little Mac Classic, obtained in 1996, now retired to our basement. I've grown from there! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Born in March 1973. Age: 29.

1st computer: Vic 20 with cassette drive (year unknown)

2nd computer: Apple IIe - Grade 6 (1984-85)

3rd computer: Tandy 1000 from Radio Shack

4th computer: some IBM clone thing my folks bought.

5th computer (I bought): 386DX with 40MB HD and two hamsters' worth of RAM. (1992)

6th computer (I bought): Toshiba ToughBook. 6.4GB, 64 MB RAM. Weighed a tonne. ;)

Saw the light in 2000 and bought a 500MHz Pismo PowerBook with 20GB HD.

2002...sold Pismo and bought 800MHz eMac with SuperDrive. Mmmmmm...SuperDrive. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris, I too used one of the old Royal typewriters. Man, it was huge! It also weighed more than an eMac.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Born 1960, first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with a 16K memory pack. Second computer was also a Sinclair but I can't remember its name (it had a colour screen and 32K of RAM ). Those were the days.... Wrote my doctorate thesis on an Olivetti word processor with daisy wheel printer. Encountered my first Mac in 1985 at the Salk Institute in San Diego. Never looked back.

Dr. G. you are as old as you feel. Apart from what sounds like a lousy vision problem, you post as if you were 20!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jwoodget, I agree with your philosophy on Life and aging. Would you believe that I used to be much more prolific?!?!?! I loved to read as a boy/youth/adult, but hated writing due to my learning disability in spelling. When I started to write my dissertation, it was a task from hell. Luckily, I had a fine typist who used a new IBM electric ball typewiter with instant correction capabilities.

When I first used the Bank Street Writer on my Apple IIe, I was unleashed. That was back in the summer of '83. I have utilized Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition software, but I still find that I compose more literate work when typing and reflecting. The only thing the written word lacks is inflection and accent. The joke I wrote about the mother who said to God "He had a hat!" needs to be timed and with accent and emphasis that is difficult utilizing the printed word. Still, written words are all we have to communicate on this forum, so they will have to make do for now. I can imagine how your area of expertise has changed since those days of your grad thesis. 'Tis a Brave New World of medical research that still lies just over the horizon............somewhere beyond the Twilight Zone.................. (cue the de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de now).

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Spare me Dr. G I'm your elder by a year :D and share the same birthday as PET.
We did this same survey on a very exclusive worldwide anonymous FC board and much to everyone's laughter about 1/2 were over 50 or getting very close.
I really miss that board as it had members from all over the world and many in high ranking positions. It was early FC with the straight news (non threaded) and some of the arguments were just terrific.
Sure got your thinking and typing at the same time going well to keep up with mulitple real time posts to the news.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 124 Posts