Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It makes me feel ill... Theres something about it that makes my stomach churn.

Good for Dell for finally coming out with a product and possibly challenging the iPod in order to enhance the market through competition.
Good for Us, Apple will most likely drop prices on the iPod.

Either way, it shall be an interesting watch, and whether Dell's CEO will proclaim they invented it, just like saying they were the first to ever create a laptop with wireless capabilities or something like that. He said that a year and a half after the iBook with Airport debuted.

·
Registered
691 Posts
2 words

Damn
and
ugly.

It seems like a miracle when the pc world comes out with something that is good looking.This however,would be another strike.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dell sucks...Plain and simple. I always have and always will hate the dell image that they portray.

Maybe if they actually invented a piece of technology on their own I would have something nice to say about them. The simple fact is they are just a lousy PC company that only copies everyone else in what they are doing and only after they deem it profitable to go in and cut margins so close it drives the other companies out of business.

They win market share by slashing prices so much it kills the competition. Hopefully one day it will kill them off as well. Good riddance to a crappy company.

Probably the only reason Dell signed up to sell the iPods from Apple was so they could get inside them and rip off everything the iPod has and offer it up in their own package.

Who knows, maybe Dell will find themselves in court with Apple and will have to stop production on the Dell Juke Box as well as stop the selling of music on their innovated "Dell Music Store"....wait a second, isn't the Apple one called the "Apple Music Store" That would be sweet. A nice kick in the nuts for Mr. Dell. Just what he deserves after doing it time and time again to every other major PC company.

Such a bland and lifeless company they can't even think of an original name for their online store.

Dell sucks!

done rant

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
In any industry you have companies that take the high road and companies that take the low road...and then you have a company like Dell.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
the baseline model will be $99 US and it will be mac compatible via iTunes.

It's based on the same basic design that Apple licensed from PortalPlayer for the iPod. Apprently the Dell DJ is manufactured by Creative Labs.

Should be pretty good, but apprently the Dell music store is going to be pretty sad.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Won't be available till "late this year". I suppose they're hoping to catch some late-holiday shoppers in a panic.

It sure is ugly.

Did I mention it's ugly?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
where's my Dell Dude..it's a sad day for the techno world..and the one thing that drives me freakin nuts is that Dell, like many others can't make a single cool thing on thier own whatsoever...they sit and wait for someone (like Apple who has always been a cool, innovative, and a rockin company) to set the course for people like SMELL Er Dell to sneak in and rip off ideas from others....the real sad thing like mentioned above..they can't even make a nicer version! it's UGLY and I would be embarrased to have that beside my Mac..maybe if it had neon lights on it it would be cool! and that cheap plastic case..WOW what design flavor! they must have put alot of thier effort into this..looks the same as thier playschool/ Darthvador/ tonka looking piece of [email protected]*! computers they sell...oh and I love Dells logo..WINGS on thier laptop..sorta like Chrysler...WOW...how trendy!..

·
Registered
435 Posts
There is no reason for them to sell it so cheap. My guess is that they are going to sell it 20-30$ less than an iPod.

iPods are already selling like crazy so they dont have to lower the price to attract more buyer if they have 'equivalent' product. Especialy since the pc market share is much bigger.

About the product: personnaly, I dont find it THAT ugly, I just think its non functionnal. The buttons are way too small and have a bad shape.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
This not only looks ugly, but is a complete ripoff of the iPod. Then again, we as Mac users should feel proud that Dell thought Apple's iPod was so cool they'd rip a copy of it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
heehee..I think DEEP down in the bowels of Dr Dell he really is a Apple freak...he like Bill gates probably use Macs at home...the one and only thing is that he wants his company to aspire to the heights of Apple's trendy marque status as a most desired computer...he sits up at night wondering what other ideas he can rip of of APPLE and other innovative companies...he also wants all the market share he can muster therefore producing nasty offspring for the low budget education market (unfortunatley $200 computers make the grade now)..so he provides the crap hardware, and Billy wonka provides the Crap software (for free no less!) so schools and people on a budget now think PC's rule and are affordable...yet he sells the high end workstations and wingding laptops thinking that they are the same quality and that they are SO desired just like Apple...Sorry DUDE your stuff is CRAP...always will be so stop trying! makes you look really really bad... :D

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Steady on...

Dell is responsible for bringing a computer in pretty much every home by driving prices down year after year. I would also argue that it is the MOST INNOVATIVE computer company in the world but (hold the tomatoes) not in terms of technical innovation, merely in terms of business innovation (not a complete oxymoron).

They were the first company to understand build to order in a big way and to build a synchronised supply chain; they were also the first ones to understand that you could make money at several stages in the life of the machine, not simply by shifting boxes.

If you are really cynical, you can argue that Dell is the real reason behind MS's success: by bringing out faster boxes every quarter, they have finally allowed everybody to run crap software with less pain...

The reason why I will NEVER buy a Dell product again, is that it is a dishonest company: it takes your money upfront (so does Apple) but does its darn best never to give it back. So if everything goes smoothly, you get a good customer experience; but the minute something goes wrong, you're completely on your own. From not honoring warrantees to forcing users to do their own part installations to putting you on hold for hours on premium phone lines, they do it all. I was conned once, went legal and won. Took 18 months. Never again...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Well said, Moscool. Dell's business model (and Apple's too, come to think of it) is all about planned obsolescence...learned with much care from the the auto industry.

That said, having some real competition in the MP3 player business can only be a good thing. Once Win-ITMS is ready, Apple will have an edge and it will be a difficult one for Dell to overcome. Will they try and compete on price alone? Judging by the wonkiness of the Dell design, I suspect the answer is yes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This thing looks like another el-cheapo from dell. Its a complete rip off of the iPod. What would the PC world be without Apple inovation? I think apple will probably file suit against dell. The screen and design are just to close to the iPod.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This thing looks like another el-cheapo from dell. Its a complete rip off of the iPod. What would the PC world be without Apple inovation? I think apple will probably file suit against dell. The screen and design are just to close to the iPod.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
oryxbiker - I highly doubt that Apple will file suit, the iPod has been out for a few years now, and most Apple products have been copied and not sued after a few years have passed. I've seen double posts, but triple post? How do those happen?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Reminds me of a Monty Python sketch ... a tv game show where people came up with derogatory terms for foreigners.

Woman: I can't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians!" [wild applause].

If you've ever seen a Dell motherboard, you'll know what I mean. You're not "saving" money, cuz you're getting a very cheaply made unit. The only PC mobo that's cheezier is Gateway's. I don't think Dell's machine is going to be a technological marvel, to say the least. And would you want Wall-Mart writing your software?

Besides, it's going to be pretty expensive once Dell adds on it's normal shipping charge. My buddy paid $120 (plus GST/PST) for some snail-ground on a notebook (Toronto-Regina). Took 8 days.

You can ship a laptop from Vancouver to Halifax for $25 XPressPost; 3 days guaranteed or it's free.

Anyway, it's not going to affect Apple's iPod that much; no NBA player wants to be seen with a Dell music player. Companies like Rio and Sony, they're going to feel it a bit more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts