Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 24" widescreen monitor. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

It arrived perfect out of the box. The brightness and contrast are more than acceptable. I don't know about colour calibration and whether that is good since I'm not a pro user. For most folks though, I'd highly recommend this monitor if you're in the market for a big screen.

When the next Dell sale comes along don't hesitate to buy. It's a bargain at $799!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't like the form factor, but you can't beat the price. There's no HDCP, but there's also no brutal banding issues (as on the Dell 2407s).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations.

I've had my Dell 2405FPW moniter for about 4 months now.

If you really want your screen to look its best set red, green and blue to 36 - 33 - 32 ( someone posted these settings and it really looks best )

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, Mac-Man.

Please excuse my ignorance. How do I put those settings in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the moniters main menu. Go to Color Settings, Then User Preset.

Read the Manual !!!!!

I also connected a Roger's Digital Cable Box to my moniter via s-video and can now watch TV at the same time with Picture and Picture

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all set up and it looks nice.

BTW, my monitor didn't have a manual in the box. I triple checked. I did find a manual online at Dell support.

·
Premium Member
30,860 Posts
adagio - you might find the monitor too bright if you are in a dim setting. Take it down evenly to 70% for each colour - should help the glare.
If you are in bright room ignore this.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Mac-Man said:
Congratulations.

I've had my Dell 2405FPW moniter for about 4 months now.

If you really want your screen to look its best set red, green and blue to 36 - 33 - 32 ( someone posted these settings and it really looks best )
Doesn't this just make it very dim?

·
Premium Member
30,860 Posts
nxnw you'll find many pro and power users with very low settings as they tend to work in low light circumstances as I do.
Most people have their HDs over saturated as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
milhaus said:
I don't like the form factor, but you can't beat the price. There's no HDCP, but there's also no brutal banding issues (as on the Dell 2407s).
NO banding issues? Confirmed? I'm really deciding between this and the Cinema 23".

PS: why is it good for a monitor to have HDCP?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gujustud said:
NO banding issues? Confirmed? I'm really deciding between this and the Cinema 23".

PS: why is it good for a monitor to have HDCP?
Well instead the 2405 has questionable aesthetics and some problems with backlight leakage. So there. But apparently the banding issues on the 2407 are really, really bad (perhaps bad in the same way folks think about the MBP's whine).

HDCP is the new connector for Copyrighted HD content. It is feared that without this connector, you may not be able to view future HD content that is copy protected.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2405 has no banding issues. The backlighting seems ok to me.

The 23" Apple display is aesthetically nicer but I'm not sure that it's $750 worth of better. I spend a lot of time in front of my monitor. I have to admit I spend 99.9999% of my time looking at the screen, not it's surrounding edges. Heck, unless I deliberately look I don't even see the name DELL.

I'm an amateur artist and none of my work is going to print. Perhaps a pro may have a different take on this monitor but for my needs its perfect. I'm VERY pleased.

·
Premium Member
30,860 Posts
Even if a bit ugly the Dell stand system is far more adjustable and I really like the fact that you can lower it way down almost to desk level and tilt it back - that's the ideal viewing angle.
You can tilt the Apple but no height adjustment.

If you are looking for a long term productivity monitor have a look at the Samsung 214T. Next gen 900:1 8 ms response, blacks to die for and the best text rendition I've seen on ANY monitor.

1600x1200 workspace and 5 individually controllable presets.
The first LCD I will willingly keep on my desk.
No widescreen version yet but Apple and Dell better get the act together on technology...this one puts them both to shame.

Sold one to a long time client who had an Apple ADC cinema and she called me up and couldn't stop raving about the 214T - paired up with a MBP and she's in cross platform heaven.
The ability to display text perfectly is remarkable. Quite a coup for Samsung.

·
Registered
990 Posts
adagio said:
My 2405 has no banding issues. The backlighting seems ok to me.
Are you sure about the backlight leakage? People have reported calling about the leakage and weaseling another $100 off the monitor; not that I'd advise you to do that . . .

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to disappoint. I really can't find anything wrong with this monitor.

Here's a review from a gamer's point of view. LINK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm I'm really really tempted to go with Dell, and save a ton of cash over the 23" Cinema. Specially after my not so great dealing with one of the Mac stores here in Downtown Vancouver.

I've read that Dell has now released a firmware upgrade to deal with the banding issue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have a dell 17" too lazy to look at the model # but i love it and it was only $250 but that was like 5 months ago with the dropping lcd prices u could proly get it for closer to $200 but its great!

·
Premium Member
30,860 Posts
Samsung makes a 215T widescreen mate to the 214T which I'm very impressed with ( first time for an LCD I'm keeping on my desk willingly ).
Neither are cheap tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts