Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two items that are .png files which i deleted but still appears in the Finder. if i click on it to delete it, it says 'the volume for (name of file) cannot be found.' this is because i threw them away!

how do i get rid of these files in the Finder?

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Thought I had already replied to this one. This is the routine.

Try logging out and back in, next try a reboot. Finally try a repair permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility; select the boot volume (partition); click on "First Aid" tab; click on "Repair permissions" button.

If that does not work there are a couple of Terminal tricks that might do the trick. Try doing a search for "trash" on Macosxhints.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I had already replied to this one. This is the routine.

Try logging out and back in, next try a reboot. Finally try a repair permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility; select the boot volume (partition); click on "First Aid" tab; click on "Repair permissions" button.

If that does not work there are a couple of Terminal tricks that might do the trick. Try doing a search for "trash" on Macosxhints.com
I tried the 'First Aid/Repair' described above but no luck. Not sure what Terminal is (new to Mac) and didn't find anything on Macosxhints.com.

Any other suggestions? Thanks much;)

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Terminal is a UNIX command line utility naturally enough it is found in your utilities folder. Probably best not to mess here if you are not somewhat UNIX savvy.

I know this was an ongoing issue in the early days of OSX maybe someone else remembers the tricks on this one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Select one .png file and do a "Get info.." (command + i) to check if you have full autorisations for the file. Also, booting from an external drive would probably allow you to delete the .png files.
geez, i can't even select the file in the Finder, it just gives the same error that it 'can't be found'
not sure how to boot from an external drive...could you help with that?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The external firewire drive must have a valid OSX system installed. Connect it to your computer and when you see his icon mounting on the desktop, restart the computer holding the option key then select the external drive and click on the right arrow. Your computer will then start with the external drive system. You will see your internal hard drive as the secondary drive on the desktop. Just find the .png files and try to delete them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts