Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Where have you backed up your iPhone? If using iCloud, that only backs up the app data for apps you select. I believe the backup you have on the MBP is a full backup of the device to use if needed to do a full restore of the iPhone. Others can correct me if I am wrong here.

I see no reason you could not remove the iOS installer if you have already moved your iPhone to 15.x.x.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As long as I have backed up my iPhone today, can I delete these files off my MBP since they're eating up 17.77gb + 5.87gb?

View attachment 94503
You can delete that, but if you’re not using iCloud back up the next time you back your phone up it will take up a good chunk of space again. You will get some back though. Over time that will build up again because it does incremental backups, and it does not delete older backups.

I recommend paying the one dollar or three dollars a month to Apple to let everything go to the cloud and just be done with it and not have to think about manual back ups.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where have you backed up your iPhone? If using iCloud, that only backs up the app data for apps you select. I believe the backup you have on the MBP is a full backup of the device to use if needed to do a full restore of the iPhone. Others can correct me if I am wrong here.

I see no reason you could not remove the iOS installer if you have already moved your iPhone to 15.x.x.
If you back up to iCloud you can do a complete backup of everything on the phone. Granted if you back up to the computer it will be a quicker restore, but you can still do a full restore from iCloud. It just takes a while to download and reinstall all the third-party apps when you do the iCloud restore. It’s not like I have to restore my phone all the time. Once every couple of years or so when I get a new one.

I use iCloud back up. I’ve got messages going back to 2012 and I’ve been through a few different phones since then. I’ve found paying Apple the extra $3 a month for 200 gigs of space to automagically back up my whole phone and all my photos to the cloud to be worth it, rather than having to remember to plug the phone into the computer, or manually run a wireless back up. This way I don’t have to think, it’s a constant back up.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
That is why I asked where they had made the backup they mention in their post. If they had no other full device backup, they might want to keep the backup on the MBP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That is why I asked where they had made the backup they mention in their post. If they had no other full device backup, they might want to keep the backup on the MBP.
Yes I did reply, and let them know if that’s the way they are backing their phone up he will save some space, but when he back
I did edit my reply to him to be a little more clear that it will save space but eventually that space will get eaten up again. iCloud is the best bet, can’t beat the price. For less than price of a cold pint a month it’s worth it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.