Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is going to sound like a really ignorant question lol but what exactly are the pros to having dedicated video memory or a non-integrated video card?

I'm assuming this comes into play with graphic intense apps, video editing and games. Anything beyond that?

I'm asking because I'm still leaning towards a 1.86 2GB mac mini. Just want to make certain this lack of video isn't going to affect me as I'll be staying away from the above apps, but I'm sure I'll end up dabbling in mp4 conversion and DVD ripping...

·
Registered
236 Posts
this is going to sound like a really ignorant question lol but what exactly are the pros to having dedicated video memory or a non-integrated video card?

I'm assuming this comes into play with graphic intense apps, video editing and games. Anything beyond that?

I'm asking because I'm still leaning towards a 1.86 2GB mac mini. Just want to make certain this lack of video isn't going to affect me as I'll be staying away from the above apps, but I'm sure I'll end up dabbling in mp4 conversion and DVD ripping...
Dedicated memory means that the video card uses it's own memory, and doesn't share or take up the memory from your RAM (since it's only 64MB it's not a big deal in Mac OS). Other than that the dedicated video card would be good for graphic intense apps and video editing, games, as you said.

The Advantage of a video chip with shared memory is that it is cheaper, it won't be horrible, but it won't play games in OS X(lack of RAM, and I wouldn't suggest it, this excludes flash games), and video editing won't be great (but that may no apply to ripping)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Unless you do high end video stuff (Motion, Shake) or play Video Games, there's not much downside to having Integrated Video on a Mac, as long as the RAM is Maxed out, but you said you want to have the Mini at 2GB - so you shoulnd't have a problem.

Stuff like MP4 conversion and DVD Ripping are mostly RAM/Processor dependant anyways. (IE: My MacBook Core2Duo with integrated Graphics will do both of those faster than my work's MacBook Pro CoreDuo, even though they're the same clock speed, and the MBP has a dedicated 256MB Graphics card inside.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, fears asuaged lol

should have figured that...I'm currently running a toshiba laptop core duo 1.6 with 1GB of RAM. It doesn't do to badly for video conversion either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts